Give me a damn Christmas starter recommendation.

pafixitman

Reaction score
I have a DB from Amazon and so far no issues. My old starter was probably fine had I seen it was held in by 2 bolts and 4 threads prior to purchasing! But...I might drive my truck a few hours a week on a good week. Have not driven it in over 3 months at the moment so I am no gauge of reliability. IDIoT swears by Powermaster, but his is a dd family hauler.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve got 2 AutoZone starters. Not had any issues. Remember I have 2 trucks, so it’s one in each, not that I had to replace a replacement.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a mitsu in the shop truck for around 150k and it’s on it’s second engine now. If you keep the fuel system leak free so you’re not overworking the starter, and the truck doesn’t go a long time without starting, these starters will last a long time.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know most of ya'll don't like the zone but for a life time warranty it's not bad. I'm on my second one in fifteen years and the last one was free. I bought the new one which is there top line and gear reduction. It truns old blue over faster than the oem it came with in 86. And if it goes out a new one is just a zone away. And I don't own stock with them. I wish I did. Rodney

May I inquire how much your starter.was at autAutoZ

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm 2 years in on an autozone unit. Not sure if theyre great or if I just never overworked the thing cause my truck starts pretty quickly.

I second @Thewespaul. imo good batteries, cables, glowplugs and fuel system has a lot to do with how long the starter will live.

RDieselKid84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jason, I think I paid 130. for the first one fifteen years ago. I checked and they list the new ones @ 190. now. I use there alternators also @ a 100. I found out I was better off after paying the local alt. shops 85. and they wouldn't last three years with no warranty. So the life time warranty has paid off in thirty two years on old blue .

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one that’s normally in stock at AutoZone do not have a nose cone. Both of mine are like this. Both work well and spin the engine over quickly.

Does it make a big difference with/without a nose cone mine has one but the older one replaced the first time never had one

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it make a big difference with/without a nose cone mine has one but the older one replaced the first time never had one

YES. Had an Azone starter with the nose cone and it would not turn over my freshly rebuild 6.9 very well. Didn’t seem to have enough power even though it tested ok. Returned it and got the other starter that doesn’t have that nose cone and never had problems with it. Azone carries both types, so make sure you get the right one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Staff online