Getting this annoying engine shudder at highway speeds.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha, I'm going to take a look at the driveshaft tomorrow.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I just crawled underneath the truck and found that the u-joint right behind the transfer case is shot.

Next question, anyone got the instructions for removing and then installing new ones? I know I have to remove the shaft (duh), but do I need an arbor press to put in the new caps?

suv7734

Reaction score
Have you got a good bench vice? Just find a socket that the cap will fit into (use new u-joint to check) and then find a socket that is as close as possible to the OD of the cap without interfering with the yoke. Remove the retaining clips and open up the vise as wide as it will go (or almost, lol) Position the smaller socket on the end of the cap to remove and position the larger socke so when you close the vise it will push the cap into the larger socket. It may not be quite far anough once the vise is closed but you can just grab the end of the cap in the vise and pull it out. To install just start the cap into the yoke and use the vise to push it in. Once it is in slide the next cap in so it is at least 'started' into the next cap to be pressed in and crank. Try not to jar the assembly so none of the rollers come loose. Once you have them pushed in against the yoke just use the smaller socket again to push them in further (one at a time) so you can get the retainer clips installed. Be careful not to press against one side of the retainer too far (make sure it's centered). Avoid using a hammer if at all possible because this can 'spring' the yoke out of shape and cause another vibration.
Clear as mud right?? LOL

93_E_350

7.3 IDI NA
Reaction score
I put three documents on my web site under "diesel information" they are listed as 1993 Aerostar, Ranger, Explorer 001 (002 and 003). They may not be exactly what you have but they should give you an idea on "how to". I used a vice and sockets like suv7734 suggested for a press, the documents cover seating the bearings and such...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My vice isn't big enough, so I've always used a hammer. Done it that way for years, and have never had an issue. Just have to be carefull.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok new joints put in. Truck is smooth as glass now. I'll post some pics of the shot joint when I down load them from the camera.

Thanks for the help guys :)

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: