Getting my first diesel in a couple weeks

onus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just scored a 2wd 1990 f250 diesel for $400. Runs, drives, currently registered, and on the road. Should be getting it in a couple weeks. Can't wait! Was used to haul the owners horse untill now. She just got a 2001 7.3 and is moving soon and doesn't want to hold onto two trucks. Did ask about sca's but heard nothing about it. She brought it to a diesel mechanic so i figure they took care of it. Its high mileage 200,000 to 300,000 so i assume it had sca's used. She didn't say there was any oil in the antifreeze or blue smoke. I'd didn't even talk her down on the price.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
That is obviously a woman who knows she's gotten her use out of it and is just trying to pass it on to someone who will appreciate it. Congratulations on the new truck and a hellova buy and welcome to the brotherhood.

onus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup she was going to junk it but they only would give her $200 (if she drove it there), it owes her nothing. She was not happy with that price to say the least. She knows what she it talking about. She had a 6.9 before but some idiot hit her and it got totaled.

And thanks, i happy to be here. I've always wanted a diesel truck. I used to always read the books about tractor trailers, watch tons of heavy construction videos. I think the sound of clatter in a diesel is sound to sooth the soul. I can't remember when i haven't loved that sound. Getting into the tech age youtube got me into them again.

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great. I bet it has lots of life left in it, but even if it blew up at $400, a fast overhaul would be easier to swallow than if you had just dropped 6 grand on a real creampuff.

onus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly nothing to lose really. I'll have a backup truck too. I'll be finishing up the work on my 91' as soon as the weather stops being freaking cold and crappy!

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Sounds like a sweet deal! Congrats. Would be even sweeter if it was a 4x4. Usually lil old ladies take good care of things.

onus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was 4x4 it would be awesome. But this alone even as a 2wd is a steal. Tons of 4x4 vehicles here so i'm set on that front. Two jeep grand Cherokee's and my 91. She didn't sound like an old lady either. I figure 30's to 40's but what do i know. Haven't seen her in person, or even seen the truck but its pretty much a sealed deal. She needs to first get a hitch for her 2001 super duty she just got.