getting my clutch fixed

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guy working on my truck finally got to it. He is fixing the clutch, and brakes. I checked the rear ones, they didnt seem bad. but he said the front ones were eating into the rotos, so they had to be replaced. $1100 for parts.

He said something like the springs were built into the flywheel, and they broke. Its also pretty expensive. What type of setup is this?

thanks

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Dual mass flywheel would be your setup.....Im guessing its done now and the money is spent because you should of switched to a single mass flywheel, beings the DMF can be problematic.

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, im pretty sure its been ordered. It took him forever to get started on it. But it was a stock clutch, with 293,000 on it, so they can't be that bad can they?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If he's getting you a flywheel, clutch kit brakes and rotors for $1100 in parts, he;s your best bud ;Sweet
With that kind of mileage, you can expect that the dual mass flywheel is toast, he's not pulling your chain.
Make sure to find out what this guys favourite brew is and buy him a case. It sure sounds like he's treating you right.

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol i would buy him one if i was old enough.

my grandpa has known him forever, and always takes his vehicles to him. he told me, 'if you want it done right, go to robbie'. im sure labor will be up there, he told me he was expensive. But he is helping me out with paying for it, so that helps a lot.

And my other grandpa owned it before i did, and i'm pretty sure he was super easy on it.

Have most of you guys converted to single flywheel?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
lol i would buy him one if i was old enough.

my grandpa has known him forever, and always takes his vehicles to him. he told me, 'if you want it done right, go to robbie'. im sure labor will be up there, he told me he was expensive. But he is helping me out with paying for it, so that helps a lot.

And my other grandpa owned it before i did, and i'm pretty sure he was super easy on it.

Have most of you guys converted to single flywheel?

The labor may be up there but at least he;s not gouging on the parts prices like a lot of shops do.Heck, he's pretty much passing on his price ( look up those parts yourself , I bet you couldn't get them that cheap if you tried )

I just switched mine to a single mass flywheel. Dual mass is fine if you don''t haul real heavy and you use a stock clutch, but if you haul heavy, the DMF is unpredictable and can fold at any time, also a dmf does not pair up well against a heavy duty clutch as then the overload protection device in the dmf becomes the weak link ( found this out the hard way -cuss

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i guess hooking to another truck would be really bad for it? :p

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
hooking to another truck always tends to be problematic. these trucks have horrible wheel hop and one the wheels start hoppin you are putting so much force on the drivetrain it isnt even funny. just a warning because i have seen many trucks go oh **** when doing this.

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i figured it would be bad. one kid wanted to hook his truck to mine, i wasn;t for sure

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, now you've gone and done it...opening up that DMF vs. SMF can of worms. A lot of people here say that the DMFs are junk and others that its usually a symptom of a rough running motor due to bad injectors or a slowly dying IP. 293,000 is a lot on any clutch setup I don't think I'd complain much.

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, i'm not complaining. of course i've only put 1,000 on it myself lol.

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another question, my clutch is really stiff to push in. Harder than any other truck i've been. My friends 96 psd with a 5 speed is a lot easier. Is it because of the dmf setup?

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hope so. I mean its not to hard for me. Dont most clutches have a breaking point, where about half way down it is easier to push in? mine doesnt