getting my clutch fixed

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should be exactly like your friend's 96 PSD if its all right same ZF5 with the diesel bellhousing. Both should be easy to push in. My T18 has a custom built mechanical linkage and its still quite easy to push the clutch in.

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i drove his, it had the half way breaking point, and it was much easier to just hold it in at a stop light. Mine will tire my leg out quick

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
yea i drove his, it had the half way breaking point, and it was much easier to just hold it in at a stop light. Mine will tire my leg out quick

If that doesn't improve with the new clutch, you need a new overcenter spring ( that big heavy spring holding the pedal under the dash )

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, he did put the smf clutch in :) My old one looked pretty bad lol. I'll post pics of it tomorrow. he said the smf was cheaper and the dmf was a dumb design anyways. im guessing it was LUK, he said that was on the clutch. And i got my oil changed, new front rotors and breaks, couple other things.

And the clutch is soo much easier to push in, it feels normal now.

Also, it has a slight rattling noise, when im just idling forward and backward. Think it could be the transmission fluid needs to be changed?

ahh its good to have it back. And it ended up being $1100 total

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, he did put the smf clutch in :) My old one looked pretty bad lol. I'll post pics of it tomorrow. he said the smf was cheaper and the dmf was a dumb design anyways. im guessing it was LUK, he said that was on the clutch. And i got my oil changed, new front rotors and breaks, couple other things.

And the clutch is soo much easier to push in, it feels normal now.

Also, it has a slight rattling noise, when im just idling forward and backward. Think it could be the transmission fluid needs to be changed?

ahh its good to have it back. And it ended up being $1100 total

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a goood price for the work involved. The rattling you're hearing at idle is normal for SMF (the springs on the DMF help to balance rotation and quiet down vibration). All said, the SMF is a better setup in most peoples opinion (but both work great when they are in good shape).

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
the hard to push part comes from a galled throwout bearing more than likely

yea the shaft the throwout bearing rides on was probubly all dried up. if it is working probubly it should be feel smooth and NOT be a workout.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
So all that's involved is some work and a few nuts and bolts? Im still kinda dumb on the SMF conversion, as I don't know much about these flywheels...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You're just hearing a little gear rollover noise, normal for a SMF. and $1100 for that Job total, for all that work, that's a heck of a deal ;Sweet