getting cold.... Brrrr

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it was down to 25` last night... little gun shy I was up at 4:30 and plugged it in to warm up... when do you all plug in the truck for easy startups??? Id rather not get up early for 1hr plug in time, but then I dont want to be late to work because I have to jump the battery from cranking so long to do a cold start

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put my heater on a timer (like the ones you might have for your christmas lights) ....for 2 - 3 hours (or whatever you're comfortable with) before when I need to go. When I get home in the evening, plug it in, and that's it....it'll be waiting for you when you're ready to go.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure your glow plugs are good?
Yes after purchase of this rig about 1month ago... I replaced the inj return line, and also checked the complete GP system... there were 2 bad plugs and I replaced them. Typically there is no issue starting after this work was performed. I havent tried to start the truck in the cold, been a little gun shy about trying without warming

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Just for giggles, you can get up at that time next time it gets that cold and see if it'll fire without the block heater. If not, don't run the batteries down, just plug it in and it'll be ready for you when you need it. Then run out and buy a timer.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well yes I will try that and figure out what temp...only thing is it supose to rain tonight and that will bring up the temp to the 60ish range.... so this experiment will have to wait a few... Janurary is comming

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
you'all do know that it don't really get cold, don't 'ya?? No such thing as cold....it's just the absence of heat:D
(I just had to smart that off....I'll go back & stand in my corner, OK?)

But my AC shop teacher told us this little tid-bit one time, he really did. True story!!!LOL

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to leave it pluged in all night at the old place, but this place has old wireing so I put it on a timer. I plug it in around 20 or so. Have had to start it at 0 w/o being plugged in w/ no problems.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah it got down to about 25* here last night as well. I on the other hand dont use the block heater, cause I dont want to run the risk of cracking my block. I would like to get some sort of aftermarket block heater, but until then I'll live with it. But all I can say is my truck doesnt like the cold much, took a good 3-4 seconds of cranking to get it to fire off, and then in ran a little on the rough side for a good 10 seconds and then cleared up. I should probably replace my battery cables, cause the ones I have now are not all that good (positive side cable has a big crack in the plastic and the wireing inside is all coroded and everything).

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I've fired My 85 at -30 degrees F. without the block heater.
Like BrownieBoy said, if it wont start at +25. Sumthins not up to *****

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yea i never bother plugging in my truck unless its in the single digits, even then i forget half the time. if the glow plugs are fine there shouldent be a problem. just dont hot rod it out on a cold engine. i let it warm up some with the tranny in nuetral to let the fluids spin around some.

caterpillar

Reaction score
It got to -10 with the wind chill here last night, I like to leave my pick up plugged in all night, block heater warms it up nice and it'll start without the glow plugs even, but i usually hit the switch for the plugs everytime just a habit i guess

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had 3 bad glow plugs I started mine one tim at 5 degrees above 0. It wasnt easy and wasn't able to plug it in. Where I usually parked it had snowed so I moved it to a parking lot hoping the plow would come by during the night and clear the spot after they made there one pass through.

They didn't:mad: .

It started no problem at all in similar temps with all 8 glow plugs working and a good set of batteries.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
yep mine started well for years down to around 0 deg F. it's only due to neglect that i must plug it in now.