Gears from ZF 5-47 into ZF 5-42 case

Kheg

Reaction score
Howdy folks,
My 5-42 in the ol' '87 has bit the dust. The 3-4 hub is shattered and the main shaft is broken. My question for someone smarter than me is; I have a 5-42 with a broken main shaft, I also have a 5-47 with a broken housing. Can I simply swap the main and counter shafts from the 5-47 into the case halves of the 5-42? I know the bare main shafts are the same but I would like to retain the lower gear ratio the 47 offers.

Thank you for the help!

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been told by the shop I bought my 542 from and also the other forum guys that everything will swap, but the PTO gears won't match up with the case.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been told by the shop I bought my 542 from and also the other forum guys that everything will swap, but the PTO gears won't match up with the case.

My info is simillar but it also countered...it does line up pto...hmmm...funny because both cases essentially put pto zame place.

Now ..you still need set clearances etc.end play..

What S47 case do you have???

Kheg

Reaction score
My info is simillar but it also countered...it does line up pto...hmmm...funny because both cases essentially put pto zame place.

Now ..you still need set clearances etc.end play..

What S47 case do you have???

I just checked my pic's. Unfortunately I don't have the build tag on my phone. I do recall the build date was 1996.

Kheg

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I posted because I was at a crossroad. Either I reuse the '42 gears on the '47 main shaft or I can simply drop the '47 main and counter shaft with the lower 1-3 gears. (I would rather keep the lower gears) Given the current info I need to order syncos and bearings for the '47.

Kevin

Kheg

Reaction score
Update, the 47's internals did all fit into the 42's case. I used the gears, forks and shift rails from the 47. The one oddity I came across is that the positioning of the socket for the shift tower is closer to the front of the transmission on the 47. For this reason I had to use the main shift rail from the 42 as the shift arms did not line up with the internals in my 42 case. I fear I boogered up on the end play tho. There is a significant amount of gear noise when idling in neutral. If I push the clutch in the noise stops. Bummer.

Attachments

• 20160113_203447.jpg
    20160113_203447.jpg
    1,016.9 KB · Views: 42

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you do the SMF mod at the same time? That sounds like rollover noise if it quits when you clutch in.

Kheg

Reaction score
Did you do the SMF mod at the same time? That sounds like rollover noise if it quits when you clutch in.

I did the smf this past July. I suppose it could be rollover noise but it sure was much quieter before the rebuild. Dunno, I'm going to run it till it fails. So far so good. Thanks for the insight!

Kev

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^^ ouch ^^^^

That idea sounds very nasty....you already had 1 bad transmission...why kill this one???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online