ZF-5 broken Slave Cylinder mount

Wildbill_81

Reaction score
Is there any way to repair a broken slave cylinder mounting ear? My son was helping me load my newly acquired trans(Jasper reman S-47 with driveline parking brake) into my van and when setting up the hoist, he dropped the leg onto the trans and snapped off the upper portion of the C-shaped mount for the slave cylinder. Anyone out ther fix this before? I was thinking of using the low temp aluminum welding/brazing rods from Berz-o-matic or Hobart but am concerned that if the joint fails on the road I'm either stuck with a clutch I can't disengage or rear-ending the car in from of me if I'm at a light with my foot on the clutch and it breaks off and the clutch suddenly engages. Thoughts? I have a 2wd S-42 version I'm pulling out of the truck anyway, How hard (or possible) is it to swap all the internals to the good case?
Thanks!

Also anyone ever convert to a all-in one hydraulic throw-out bearing(bearing and slave cylinder on the input shaft)?

Last edited:

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Do you know anyone who has a gas shield mig welder? With something like this, you are gonna want to get a good weld on it. Perhaps your local weld shop, or a rig welder.

Rock

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those low temp brazing rods are pretty strong; I remember a YouTuber called project farm tested a bunch of brands and the Hobart one took over 1200lb to separate two bolts that he had brazed the heads together. That being said, you would have to get the mating surfaces up to 700 degrees to braze them. That might be tough to do in this case.

Wildbill_81

Reaction score
Those low temp brazing rods are pretty strong; I remember a YouTuber called project farm tested a bunch of brands and the Hobart one took over 1200lb to separate two bolts that he had brazed the heads together. That being said, you would have to get the mating surfaces up to 700 degrees to braze them. That might be tough to do in this case.
I just watched that yesterday which gave me the idea. The case is super clean and both pieces fit tight together. I have MAP gas and oxy-acet so temp should not be an issue...just patience to be sure it get hot enough before brazing

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used the aluminum brazing rods on several projects, and they work great. But that being said. I wouldn't want to trust two parts brazed together on the transmission, especially the slave cylinder mounting ear. I would have it welded while the trans is out, so you don't have to remove the trans later and have it welded if the braze fails.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you want to, you can even have whoever welds it put a couple of reinforcement pieces of metal on there for extra support.

Wildbill_81

Reaction score
IDIBRONCO, was thinking the same thing, the case is very thin in this area so I may try to make a plate which can attach to both ears and have the slave cylinder mount through it. Gotta mock up the slave cylinder to see if it is at all possible.