Gear Vendor Adaptor Woes

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to starting on the GV setup and quickly ran into trouble. I got a great deal on a rebuilt 1356 from a Bronco (fixed yoke, short tailhousing), and gathered all the parts, including a fixed yoke adapter for the 1356. Both units have 1356 stamped on them, but they don't exactly match as you can see.

You must be registered for see images

I have been calling GV, but the tech dept. isn't around; anyone happen to know where I went awry? Both units are stamped 1356, and the length seems alright with the collar in there, but the adapter bolt pattern is about 2" smaller than the tailhousing. I'm nervous GV is going to give me the sole option of buying one of their gold plated adapters.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a call back from GV. It turns out - buyers of used units beware - that the adapters with 1356 in the casting are used for all different things, and as such might have different ends on them. They tell me that likely what I have is a #2 piece for 2 piece adapters that bolts onto the end of them, such as a 1345 adapter which also replaces the back half of the case itself. In other words, I guess they just mill the front part of a 1356s casing down as needed and reuse the casting for other transmissions and xfer cases. So, I either have to buy the other half of a 1345 case and use my existing case, or go get another 1356 adapter. Just the bill I need after funding a cross-country move.-cuss

That said, if you've got enough money burning a hole in your pocket, it does seem like GV provides fantastic customer service.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A seller in Aromas Ca sells plenty of gear vendors and adapters on ebay. Find him under gear vendors on ebay and ask some questions. You may find out that there are several differant 1356 adapters. I know of two. A 1356 a and a 1356 B...:dunno

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
A seller in Aromas Ca sells plenty of gear vendors and adapters on ebay. Find him under gear vendors on ebay and ask some questions. You may find out that there are several differant 1356 adapters. I know of two. A 1356 a and a 1356 B...:dunno

Glenn/Maximum Overdrive is the guy in Aromas, CA.

:thumbsup:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
:thumbsup: I did not know the name of the seller in Aromas but thanks for this information too....:D

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I hear there is a guy in California that deals with this stuff....you should check it out...(too much?)

Thad

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I getting into this a little late, but what you have in the pics don't look right in more ways than one. this is what I can see and I have pics of all the offending parts later on today.
1) the case is a 1356 case. the mounting for the tailcone is a wide four bolt pattern.
2)the adapter is not for a 1345/1356 conversion. it's to short and none I've ever seen had an oil seal on the GV side.
3)the bolt pattern on the gv adapter is for a NP208.
when I get into the office later on today, I can take pics of the above parts to illustrated the differences.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is getting interesting. Glenn is in fact the dealer for the reman GV and adapter. He swore to me he'd never had a short adapter, but in fact he's the eBay seller I got it from a few months ago. I'll address that with him later, and I'm sure it just slipped his mind and he'll make it right. Anyway, towcat, what you say jibes with Jeff from GV, as he said they'll reuse the 1356 adapter for other units. They do sell 2 1356 adapters, one for the pickup 1356, which has a long tail housing and slip yoke, and a shortie for the fixed yoke, short tail housing 1356s in Broncos. I got a Bronco unit because my 1345 truck has fixed yoke, not slip like later years.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks mudkickr, I'd need to verify the length. From what I've seen the adapter may be too short.:dunno GV said that this could be the back half of a 1345 adapter as well. One option that is cheaper than another 1356 adapter is just the front half of the 1345 adapter which I could put on the existing case. I was just hoping to use this fresh 1356 sitting on the bench since I don't know how many tomes this one's been around the clock.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks mudkickr, I'd need to verify the length. From what I've seen the adapter may be too short.:dunno GV said that this could be the back half of a 1345 adapter as well. One option that is cheaper than another 1356 adapter is just the front half of the 1345 adapter which I could put on the existing case. I was just hoping to use this fresh 1356 sitting on the bench since I don't know how many tomes this one's been around the clock.
iirc you have to use the rear case of a 1356 and then use the GV adapter on the 1345 due to the fact the 1345 doesn't have a tailcone. i got into the office too late last night to take pics, will do today.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well that's certainly a better fit. I bit the bullet and just got a real 1356 adapter from GV. By the time all is said and done, I'll have close to the cost of a new GV unfortunately, because damn they get you on those random extra parts you need if you're rounding up used equipment. -cuss Least the pain was spread out over 6 months. No point in getting a refund, because the core charge is more than what I paid for the first adapter. Looks like I'm one cut wire short of a full setup, then it's time to dive in. At least there's light at the end of the tunnel. I'll say for your dollars you do get fantastic customer service.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86