Gates belt problems

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Has anyone else been having any problems with the Gates Serpentine belts?
I've been using the Dayco belts the last few years and aside from them only lasting a year before they start squeeking, I've never had a problem with one, but I got a Gates belt this time and it appears to be shorter ( judging by the coding I think the Dayco is 111.5 in and the Gates is 111 in)
THe new Gates was so tight it just barely fit over the pulleys before compressing the tensioner and then it threw the belt going out the drive. I assumed that I has misalligned the thing( that would be a first) but then after putting it back on I drove 5 miles and ran through a puddle and it threw the dang thing again :backoff THe tensioners pullys arent out of allignment and everything is running true when the belt is installed. It doesn't make any sense.
Any clues here?
THanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Check the idler and tensioner rollers for a convex curve in the running surface. These need to be flat or the belts fly off...

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As Gary said, check the tensioner/idler puller AND bearing.

Your old belt could be worn and re-shaped such that it will stay on a bad pulley.

I am adamant about demanding GATES belts and hoses and have never had a problem from them thus far.

You are lucky if it will throw a belt without eating it up and wrapping it around stuff so tight that it takes hours with a sharp knife to get it loose.
:)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well, I checked it before I headed to town today and the idler pullys are perfectly flat and the bearings are tight and so is the spring tensioner setup and it's all running true when it's running. It simply makes no sense.

THose Gates belts are about twice as stiff when new . I wonder if the tensioner spring is worn just enough to where that extra stiffness allowed it to pull the tensioner down and pop it throwing the belt? I ran over 90 miles on it today without any problems.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I use gates exclusively on my domestic fleet. Contitech on the euro, Bando on the imports.

I never, ever had a problem with gates belts. The dayco on the other hand i never get any life out of.

Also gates has a far greater application coverage than the dayco. Ever try and install a dayco belt on a ford DOHC 2.0? The belt is slightly longer than stock and gates. ONce it stretches a bit the tensioner rattles on its stop.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
I have the same trouble mine was so bad I couldn't drive on a rainy day so I made a sheild for it I thought maybe lowering the truck got the belt too close to water

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
I've always known Gates to wear like iron with the serpentine belt systems. For the V-belts on the other hand, I've been told it doesn't really matter what brand you choose. On that note, I picked up an entire set of Goodyear belts for $20. Not to highjack, but how does Goodyear stack up to Gates?
If that question is any indication, Gates is pretty much the standard for belts LOL

Last edited:

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I've always known Gates to wear like iron with the serpentine belt systems. For the V-belts on the other hand, I've been told it doesn't really matter what brand you choose. On that note, I picked up an entire set of Goodyear belts for $20. Not to highjack, but how does Goodyear stack up to Gates?
If that question is any indication, Gates is pretty much the standard for belts LOL

I've had good luck with the Goodyear Gatorback V belt. Their serpentine belts seem to be pretty decent too, they just crack early like the dayco's down here in the heat. Like you said i've had great luck with gates and they do wear like iron. Quiet too.

It was the only belt to hold up with the vortech on my crown vic. It would shred everything else.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gator back goodyear works for me. I have a dayco in the tool box as a spare but I run my good year.

Interesting, my truck threw the good year because the a/c locked up and rubbed off 2 grooves completely. I just put it back on and it still runs great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster