gasoline in the fuel tank mistake

imfixinmopars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a customer brought a 96 di w/ gas in the tank.they ran it till it died;Sweet .i drained the gas in tank,filter hsg,and lines.filled w/ fuel and it runs fine,but wont start cold,it did this before the gas thing.ck'd the gpr and wiring and everything is working,so im replaceing the gp's.i will ohm the gp's first,but im sure we have some bad ones here,it smokes real bad when it finally starts....???my question is what damage can gas do to the diesel? it seems to run fine,but im curious.???oh another,they been using starting fluid to start cold too,..i shuddered and told them its not a john deere,:yell: and not to do that,whats your thoughts on that too?,thanks,mike...in michigan

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike,

The biggest issue on a PSD when gasoline gets put in the tank and run through the engine is the injectors. With near zero lubricity in gasoline the pistons and barrels on the HEUI will score. Simply said, if it doesnt ruin the injectors, it has severely reduced the life of them.

Tank needs to be drained and flushed, refilled with fresh diesel, filter changed and fuel cannister drained and then dose the tank heavy with a fuel additive.

Knock some sense into the ether user also. :D

imfixinmopars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im in the process of r+r gp's and found the inj-gp harness burnt on one already,no conn. for 1 gp.the gp"s come out very easy,might be because of the gas mistake?cleaned the tips?,but they test ok on the lh bank. now on to the rh side,wish me luck,mike....oh where is the best place to get the harness's??????any aftermarkets?????

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doubt the gas cleaned up the GP's, but you never know. Make sure the glow plug relay is still functional too, they go out frequently also.

The harness can be gotten at Ford or IH.

Valve Cover Harness, under valve cover
(Ford) F4TZ-9D930-K (94-97)
(International) 1815923C92 (94-97)

You can also get a repair kit from Ford or IH

Valve Cover Harness Repair Kits (contains 4 hard shells w/seals, w/o terminals)
(Ford) F7TZ-14489-BA (94-96)
(Ford) F7TZ-14489-AA (97)
(International) 1830829C91 removal tool and Shells w/o pins
(International) 1661875C1 Pins
(International) 2501055C1 Pins with 6" wire

imfixinmopars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i picked up 2 harnesses at for for 74.00 for the pr.hope this is the end of the parts chasing,and its out of the shop thurs.the v.c. gskt was even knid of burnt too,but mainly just burnt plastic fron the harness,glass beaded it and its ok.thanks for the help w/ the part nos.have a good holiday,ill let you know how she works out,mike

imfixinmopars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
trucks all done,but to others out there,i found even one of the female pins burnt in half inside the connector,on the main engine harness also,wow,maybe 3 gp's where getting voltage.i took a v.cover harness and stole a pin and wire from that and repaired the main harness.they said it started hard,but sheeezz.now it starts good w/ minimal smoke,thanks for all you guys help,this forum is great,mike oh i forgot, even one of the glows insides came apart,and was 99% unscrewed out of the head,nice..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel