gas to diesel conversion

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
are the mounts the same for the 7.5L gas pot as they are for the 7.3 IDI
I found n '88 crew cab dually that is absolutely beautiful just that
1) it's a gaspot
2) it's 2wd
it has a 7.5L so what do you guys think is it too much of a pta to switch it to diesel, manual, 4wd?

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
The best thing I can think of is to get a donor truck from the same era for the diesel and maybe the 4x4 parts (i dont know if the front ends differ from reg cabs-super cabs-and CC)

Im absolutely no help for auto to manual swaps.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
The 460 mounts are different that the diesel ones.

I've done that particular engine swap with Mater and I would say that it is a worthy swap. Especially since a 460 can't hit double digit fuel mileage numbers.

Other that the mounts, you're also gonna need the wire harness for the engine compartment all the way into the dash. Radiator and core suport.
I think I have about 40 hours into making the transition.

As far as converting to 4x4, it can be done and as farmboy said, a donor truck will be a huge asset.;Sweet

jdchristian3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i believe to put 4x4 in (drive front axle) you need 6+ inches of lift. it has that stupid cradle thingy under the motor that the I-beam suspension mounts to. that is why the 87-97 f-350 4x4 set so much higher than everything else... the axle has to clear that thing. fabritech makes a conversion from the split beam (TTB) 4x4 to solid axle swap kit. you may graft it in. i have a good full cast iron T-18 granny and NP205. all it needs is the big bellhousing to go in... i even have a custom made cross member to mount that combo in the 80 and up trucks... your swap difficulty depends on your access to torches, plasma cutters, stick and mig welders. and your true mechanical enginuity/fabrication mind set... plus your willingness to waste time, effort and money on trial and error... you would need a dana 60 front axle with the correct ford yoke and the right gears. new steering box-to-knuckle linkage(pitman arm, tie rods/crossover linkage), front and rear drive shafts, trans, t-case, suspension mounting points( shackle mounts, spring mounts, panhard rod mounts), shifter linkages-trans and t-case, and mebbe more depending on how purty you want it to look... $$$$$

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
i believe to put 4x4 in (drive front axle) you need 6+ inches of lift. it has that stupid cradle thingy under the motor that the I-beam suspension mounts to. that is why the 87-97 f-350 4x4 set so much higher than everything else... the axle has to clear that thing. fabritech makes a conversion from the split beam (TTB) 4x4 to solid axle swap kit. you may graft it in. i have a good full cast iron T-18 granny and NP205. all it needs is the big bellhousing to go in... i even have a custom made cross member to mount that combo in the 80 and up trucks... your swap difficulty depends on your access to torches, plasma cutters, stick and mig welders. and your true mechanical enginuity/fabrication mind set... plus your willingness to waste time, effort and money on trial and error... you would need a dana 60 front axle with the correct ford yoke and the right gears. new steering box-to-knuckle linkage(pitman arm, tie rods/crossover linkage), front and rear drive shafts, trans, t-case, suspension mounting points( shackle mounts, spring mounts, panhard rod mounts), shifter linkages-trans and t-case, and mebbe more depending on how purty you want it to look... $$$$$

well not that i wann get to stupid and waste ridiculous time but i cannot find a OBS diesel crewcab anywhere I have been looking fo a diesel rolling chassis for about a year now with no luck i would rather find a PSD OBS manual tranny with a blown engine so i can graft my IDI in and use the air 2 air but lose all the comp crap. because like i said i would be happy with a diesel crew cab 4wd manual, with an intact front end, intact rear end, all body panels, but no luck feels like i am trying to find hens teeth. any suggestions
i do not want to spend $5,000.00 for a truck i am going to throw/remove/modify 2/3 of it away

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow i didnt know it took all that time and effort to do a swap. my trk is a 85 f350 frame with a 92 f250 body, 85 dana 50 frt ttb, 92 10.25 rear axle. i have a lot of other swapped in things and i have a few dollars in it. its not hard to swap the a 2wd to a 4wd. there are guys in here that have done it. also it would be easier on you if found either a dana44hd or dana 50 ttb frt axle and just bolt it to the axle pivot brackets. then all you have to do is install leaf springs and your done(i know theres a little cutting and measuring) the steering boxes are the same, be it a f150 f250 f350 for 80 through 96. 97 98 heavy duties as well. pitman arms are the same. lots of stuff are the same. just get the trk you want and built it the way you want it.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
With the exception of the 2wd to the 4wd conversion, I have done or am in the process of doing the same thing.

From what I understand, you do not NEED the Diesel core support, but should get it so it can hold the diesel radiator. As far as the auto to man change, simple. Get the pedal change over, clutch slave cyl, clutch master cyl, firewall flex/crack support tsb brace, bell, clutch, flywheel, tranny,...and go. It is great to have the good stuff. I actually will be trying to finish my swap in the next few weeks...But with weather and other projects, I am not sure I will get it done.

SWS

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
i was also gonna put in either a 3 speed brownie or one of those overdrive boxes but instead of shortening the driveshaft to accomodate i was gonna lengthen the frame and put a slip tank between the cab and box that way i won't lose any box space with the added range available to me via the slip tank but being a family man i need the crew cab and i would just get the front driveshaft lengthened. due too the lack of availability of crewcabs i also will probably not be building the tandem in my avatarunless i use an extended cab.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
im not trying to bash you but what does a tandem axle light duty pickup offer that a dually cannot offer the tandums in a light duty truck seem point less to me
im not trying to start a fight just wondering

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
Probably for the -Drool factor.

And with duals on each axle, I bet it could handle a little moe in the bed or more tongue weight....Nah, has to be the wow factor ;Sweet

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Naw...I have seen that before too with the twin axles in the rear and wondered the same thing. There was a guy who has built six of them (one for each time he upgradeds his p/u) for his projects in a magazine at one of my jobs. With the extra spring on the rear, you can distibute the weight on the frame better and it will keep the squat at bay. It showed him with a 27+ foot 5th wheel with the single and tandums. There was a huge difference.

SWS

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
im not trying to bash you but what does a tandem axle light duty pickup offer that a dually cannot offer the tandums in a light duty truck seem point less to me
im not trying to start a fight just wondering

i was gonna build the tandem as a toy that is unual and my intention was to set it up with a roll off/on set up to accomodate different service body packages one of them was/is going to be a baby bed truck with a gin pole setup and texas roll which would put alot of stress on the suspension components while working and the other reason for the tandem would be floatation in mud as up here in the spring and fall or any time it rains the ground turns into a semi-gel/warm peanut butter/almost liquid/snotty substance with zero traction and everything and anything sinks there are times where all tire chains do is dig the vehicle in deeper and provide zero forward and backward momentum i have heard of drilling rigs sinking out sight i was going to make it so it could function as a 6x6 i just want to play i was gonna try a few different things and than either find a way to put it too work or put a price tag on it as there are lots of perverbial "Jones's" up here that always have to be the first on the block. :yell:AND BY THE WAY DON'T EVER BE AFRAID OF AN ARGUMENT ON SUCH STUFF I KIND OF HAVE A REP AS A MAD SCIENTIST( mechanical equivalent) AND ALSO HAVING SOME UNUSUAL APPLICATION OR MULTI TASKING IDEAS FOR MOBILE PLATFORMS AND I INVITE CRITICISM AS IT MAKES ME THINK;Sweet As i learn more i WILL expirement more.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
Probably for the -Drool factor.

And with duals on each axle, I bet it could handle a little moe in the bed or more tongue weight....Nah, has to be the wow factor ;Sweet

and yes there is a definite cool factor and it is also a way to be noticed because one day i would like to open a custom shop with welding/fabricating equipment as well as machining/milling equipment just for fun and if i can maybe make some play money on the side.:thumbsup:

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
Another thing that would be sweet with tandem axles...Super Singles, talk about flotation!

I havent looked them up in a while, but they dont come in a 16' rim (or even a 17", I dont know) and they are 10 lug. But those would increase the "one of a kind" factor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online