Garage IDI Build

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let this be a lesson to you guys running old injectors, this was a sweet running IDI and all the cylinders were 400+PSI and the #8 got stuck open and killed that cylinder in 1 day. We had it pop tested and the shop said it would even hold 10psi.

Pulled the 6.9 with the dead hole out today with plans to hone and re-ring the cylinder. I am interested in getting opinions on what the minimum should be done while we are in there. Its my friends truck and he is considering a full build but its a time and $ issue, the truck needs to get back on the road in the next 2 weeks tops and this was an unexpected thing so there is just not enough time to save the $ to go all out.

If all the other cylinders are fine should I hone and re-ring those too?
Should I do the bearings?
Is it beneficial to lap the valves when replacing the valve seals?
Should I replace the oil pump?

I know in an ideal situation what all I would like to do to this engine(everything and studs too!) but my plans right now are to hone and re-ring #8, replace the valve seals and rebuild the oil cooler.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
The only input I can give you is consider the typ4 Cam from russ if you are already going to have the truck apart; and if the oil pump was fine before, leave it, International designed and engineered these oil pumps beyond any eectations we could ever have.
Oh, and if you are going to hone and rering one cylinder, its a good idea to do them all while you are there.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yours died the same way mine did. But my compression was low across the board and had zero on the back drivers side. Ran great then started missing and white smoking. I made it home and that was the last time she started. Pulled the heads and found the whole bore was rusted all the way down on the back driverside

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rering it all, do not replace the oil pump. at least get the valve guides checked and replace springs with new ones, even the stock ones are better than a hi miler that can drop a valve.
and a cam . but I am biased about the cam.
'LOL

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read it and that is the correct way so just reinforced it.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
If money is the big issue then check the bore make sure its not worn out of spec and that it doesnt need bored, also check all the main and rod bearings if there not worn to bad leave them BUT make sure they go back exactly were you pulled them from dont mix them up, if the cylinder is ok then hone it slap new rings on that piston and throw it together new gaskets new seals and a new injector and it will be good to go, as long as the bore isnt out of spec