FYI Grease fitting on double u joint

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
There is a grease fitting on some of the double u joint center ball. It is very hard to see and you need a needle grease gun adapter to grease is. Don't overlook this step while greasing you truck or you will have to replace it and possible the yoke welded onto the driveshaft.

Attachments

• MOOG-MOOG-608-large-1.JPG
    MOOG-MOOG-608-large-1.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 87

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I have seen it both ways on the oe part so you have to look to verify. Its hard to get to with skid plate and crossmember in the way

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm... there are 3 knuckles on my drive shaft. Only two have zercs, I always wondered why but I certainly don't have anything that looks like this.

Black dawg

Reaction score
And it takes quite a bit of grease to actually get the needles greased in the centering ball

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Hmm... there are 3 knuckles on my drive shaft. Only two have zercs, I always wondered why but I certainly don't have anything that looks like this.
I am talking about the front drive shaft with double u joint at transfer case on a f-350. Fitting is in the center behind the u joint closest to transfer case. You 250 should have a single u joint.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I found out some more information that I will pass on. Spicer makes a non-greasable version of the center yoke with a outer seal. Definitely a better set up because there is no way to grease this with driveshaft in the truck. This is the style that is on my buddies 2010 f-250 superduty.
The problem is that my driveshaft shop told me that the seal does not work with the greasable style weld yoke so a new yoke would have to be welded to your drive shaft to use the non greasable version with the seal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7