Funky/Odd Power Steering

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Returning home from a 1,000 mile trip with the family the Ford's steering wheel ****** to one side and as soon as I corrected, the steering felt overly sensitive for a moment, then returned to center.

It freaked me out as I thought I had a rod-end or ball joint letting loose. I got off the highway and thoroughly checked the front and rear end over.

Things checked:

PS fluid level
Belt tension
F&R U bolts
F&R lug nuts
Trackbar
Rod-ends
Ball-joints
Pitman arm
T-case in 2WD
Hubs unlocked

Everyhing appears normal, no slop, no leaks, no noise, nothing odd except for when travelling straight for several miles at a constant speed the steering wheel will abrubtly fall off center and remain cocked until I give adverse input.

I have an idea but I don't want to contaminate anyones opinion.

Any thoughts?

The Truck is in my Signature.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your tie rod ends, and look and see if your tie rod and drag link isn't rotating forward and backward.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel,
The drag link and tie-rod rotate fore and aft when the steering wheel is turned.

I thought this was normal?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose it depends on the truck. I have not seen many that do it, but appearantly yours do. Perhaps the brands of tie rod ends you are buying? :dunno

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i got moogs all the way around on mine. always flopped when i turned back and forth. i put a little pressure on it by rotating my stabilizer a little bit. seems to have slowed the flopping down a little. but still moves.

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
seems like I remember mine doing something of that manner once along time ago, never since...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726