Fuel tank filler neck hose removal.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1st of all, is there any reason NOT to remove the little hose that is inside the filler neck?

I could see maybe too much backwash, or something. But I have never had problems with filler necks on older vehicles that never had that extra hose inside...

2nd... Has anyone ever removed ALL of that hose? If so, how? The hose is somehow bonded with the metal piece that is inside the filler neck at the top. I don't see any way to twist it and unlock it or anything like that.

I am about to go after it with a dremel tool. With a small cutoff wheel. Just cut the entire rim of the metal piece at the top. (If I ruin it, I have a spare. LOL)

Don't count on pictures. I'll try, but my camera is crappy on closeups anyway. And this is down inside the filler neck, besides. So no idea how I can get a pic down inside, and get light in there as well.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look up harpooning the ?tank? Or filler?
There are some creative work
arounds on here....
Sorta on track tip form my kid who was at ford back when these were new...
When he had to drop a tank,ect..
Loosen the passenger side bed bolts way up, pull driver side bolts out, lift dr. Side bed rail and prop bed with 2x's get to work reverse the job and dunski

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My tank is off right now. Everything is apart. Now is the time to do this, before I start putting everything back together.

I have been reading about mixed results from removing that inner hose. Some people say it makes a difference, some people say it makes no difference at all.

The "difference"... The tank is slow to fill. Some people swear taking out the inner hose makes a difference. Others say it makes no difference at all, and that it is the gas station nozzle that is the problem.

I have already gutted the rollover/vent system. It is wide open. But I don't see that tiny amount of vent making any real difference on a fillup.

What I AM thinking about at this time is.... The fuel goes down that tiny inner hose. The air is supposed to come back up around it, and out the little tiny slit at the bottom of the piece of metal the tiny hose is bonded to.

I am considering, instead of cutting out the metal, and dropping the entire tiny hose out that way... Taking a small drill, and drilling more holes in the metal where it is supposed to vent. Effectively increasing the vent size a lot.

I do think the nozzle causes the fuel to "foam" at my favorite station. And that foam backs up. Even in the vent. So I don't know. maybe it IS a hopeless cause.

But from the bit of research I have done, I think my best bet is to increase the vent. Since I have done what I could with the rollover vent line, maybe increasing the amount of vent at the top of the filler hose, and then shoving the fuel nozzle well down into the tiny hose will make the difference...

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I was that far in I would dang SURE drop it and have a
Looksee
my 88 was atrocious, the 93 not as bad, I think the station has a lot to do with it...
the pumps out of ca seemed way BETTER to me.
gunna watch the outcome

Black dawg

Reaction score
In my experience, they are very slow to fill without the hose in there.......like you will give up slow.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Tun another vent hose along the outside of the filler neck. Since your tank is out, now is the time to put a fitting in the top of your tank and attach one end of a piece of clear vinyl hose to it. Attach another fitting to your filler neck, above where the end of the nozzle sits, and attach the other end of the vinyl hose to it. After that, you can remove the plastic hose from the inside. I just grab it and pull hard to remove it. I believe that is the harpooning that Clb mentioned.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This isn't a plastic hose. It is a small rubber hose. It goes all the way from the filler neck, to inside the tank. The fuel runs down through this into the tank, and the air vents out the larger hose that is around it.

Here is what they look like.
You must be registered for see images attach

Mine is of course the 87 and up. It fills through the small center hose, and it vents through the outer hose.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Screw it. I'm putting it back on with only one change. I am going to cut that inner hose off, level with the entry to the tank. That way, it doesn't start running back up that hose before the tank is full. Or maybe 1/2" inside the tank.

Everything should continue to work the way it is supposed to. I just won't be getting a siphon, or "plugged up" effect in that small hose when the tank is only 3/4 full.

Reactions: Clb

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Wouldn't the extra venting still work the same way? In the older version, the flow is restricted by the small vent hose. In the later version, the flow is restricted by the smaller fill hose. It should be obvious that I haven't dug that far into my 1987 yet since I didn't realize that there's a difference.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty much, yeah.

But I am tired of messing with this.

Also frustrated because of stupid little things like I was positive I had some 3/8 fuel line, and I found out I don't. I don't want to drive 40 miles into town to pick up a tiny piece of fuel hose, so I am going to end up using a small piece of clear vinyl hose to put the brass tee onto the end of the pickup. (Turns out I need to do that anyway, even if the shower head on this one was good. It doesn't reach the bottom of the tank. I was told the unit is the same for the metal tank, and the plastic one. Either this was the wrong one for the metal tank as well... And I don't think it was. It was working fine. Or they are different. Luckily I am able to look into the tank through the vent, while shining a flashlight into the filler neck, and see exactly where these things are ending up.)

Plus I couldn't find a replacement rubber ring to replace the seal under the sending unit. So I am going to reuse the old one that is near brittle, and just use that and some sealant to get the seal on the sending unit.

Plus, I tried to bend the rod for the float, to get it close to the end of the tank, and ended up breaking the sending unit apart. I got it back together, but had to use nylon wire ties to hold the body of it in place. So I am not sure that unit is going to work at all, now.

I'm done with the filler part of it. I'll cut that inner hose. If that, plus the fact that I modded the vent, doesn't make a difference, Meh! I've had to **** with the fillup up to now, I'll just continue to have to.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So in the 87 and down pic...
how can the black tube be a vent it is below the fuel level when tank is full (my take on it) is this an internet picture or your own work?
Only this I see is its supposed to bump up on top of the inside of the tank?
I think you are on to something cutting the black off short, there might be some blowback from the escaping air flow but not terrible...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
So in the 87 and down pic...
how can the black tube be a vent it is below the fuel level when tank is full (my take on it) is this an internet picture or your own work?
It's an internet picture. The vent is for letting the air escape from the tank past the fuel flow while you're filling the tank.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be a little late, but i cut that whole thing out. took out the entire inner hose, JB welded a fitting near the top of the filler neck and one at the top of the tank and ran a separate vent hose. I can fill up at full speed with one of the big rig pumps. you can really here the air coming out of the vent hose. LOL it didnt take much time and was a massive improvement.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What size vent hose???
I gotta bad front sender to fix, so I gotta pull the bed cuz I'm not fighting it from underneath, may's well do this mod.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7