Fuel shutoff solenoid and a full fielded alternator outcome

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Just want to share one of my latest adventures of a day in the life of Mater.

Mater has been taking an excessive amount of abuse this winter pushing snow, with a recorded amount exceding 158" of snowfall, Mater finaly decided to one up me Monday.:mad:

As some of you know, I installed a set of 03 F150 Super Crew Lariat dual heated 6 way power seats in it to make those cold snow plowing days slightly less miserable.
Well as I was heading to go collect a couple loads of firewood Monday morning, I heard a loud snap from the right side of the cab/firewall area, all of a sudden the seat heater got extremely hot and then POOFf! The cab filled with smoke and the truck died instantly. :eek:

Talk about getting put on the hot seat in a hurry! :***:

I got the truck pulled off the highway, quickly and exited the vehicle popping the hood latch to see what just happened. Smoke cleared and nothing seemed out of the ordinary at first. Upon further inspection, I fount the passenger side battery venting and very swollen. Ok, keep my face away from that area to avoid a face full of battery acid when that group 31 decides to blow.

Said a swear word soliloquy and called my buddy Mike to tell him I was going to be late and to bring me a bout 4' of wire so I could hotwire the IP to limp it back home since the ignition switch and everything else was now without power.

Mike showed up and I get the wore plumbed in and connected it to the FSS power feed on the IP and BZZZ!

Hmm, that was odd, no clicky clicky. Called up Mel and ran the scenario by him and we were both under the assumption that the electrical system had just taken a power surge and shorted out the FSS.

Well I called up my other buddy Mike and had him bring his trailer down so we could drag Mater back home, since hotwiring wasn't going to be a workable option.

After I got simmered down enough and caught up later in the day, I spent a little time digging around and did find that the 14 gauge fusible link from the alternator to the solenoid had been completely vaporized and all that was left was the 2 ends it was attached to.

Last night I finally pulled the top cover off of the IP and this is what I found. The FSS had literally exploded under the cover!:eek:

Yeah well I didn't see that coming. When the FSS exploded, it sent all sorts of shrapnel down into the ****** of the IP. Fortunatly, as Mel advised last night that being on the downflow side of the fuel path, a good flushing to clear the debris should rid the cavity of it's contaminants and then top it off with a working FSS.

So now begins the chase to locate the rest of the fried circuitry, when I have some time to go thru it, but Mater is now down for the count.

Not having a mechanical voltmeter nor altmeter installed, prohibited me from seeing what that alternator did when it went full ruhtard Monday but it being a 100 amp one, it wasn't pretty.:puke:

Attachments

• IMG_1682.jpg
    IMG_1682.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1681.jpg
    IMG_1681.jpg
    565.2 KB · Views: 26

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Looks like thats a goner there treats. Will be interesting to see if you can get all the shrapnel out of the pump too. I'm guessing if you take the side cover off it can be flushed out from that side. What you might do is send some fuel thru the filter and use that to flush out the crap. All you need is a clean glass jar. Maybe a gallon pickle jar washed out and dried. This is where an electric lift pump comes in handy pumping out clean fuel thru the filter into a clean bottle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online