Fuel sender fun

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are the diesel senders and pickups so much more expensive than the gassers

Arborigine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished the job yesterday just as the snow began. Test drive with 5 gallons in each tank showed increased power and no leaks, and guage needle just above E. Going out to rebuld front brakes now, later on will go to town and fill both tanks watching guage.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That one from Summit has a good price. Someone else on here needed a new sending unit also, but his lines where rusted out on top. He was going to try a unit for a gas truck that had a 460. The 460's had a return line like the diesels, but also had electric in tank fuel pumps(not all did though) so a hose would have to be installed to take the place of the electric pump which you would not need to buy. And the 460 setup was offered in the 87-dwn trucks with the 90 ohm unit, and it was also offered in the 88-up trucks which had the different resistance.

He hasn't written back in that I know of, to tell us if it worked.

It works, confirmed it with some other people. But i haven't done it myself yet, been busy busy fixing some clutch problems and a fuel leak :(

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought one for a 86 with a 460, Works perfectly..

I am surprised the parts people haven't jumped on this, and sell the 460 units for both 460's and diesel's, and include a small piece of something in the box to take place of the pump that is not needed with the diesel. You know they love to do that sort of thing, complete with bad photocopies of vague instructions in the box.

Arborigine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still havent had time to write it up as I had to get ready for a big auction today in Chowchilla, and the Big 3 auto Swap meet in San Diego next week. I will write up the job after i get back.
I ran the front tank dry today for the first time since the job, mileage was only about 13 as it was mostly towing heavy loads, but I had to add 18.4 gallons when i refilled it. It never took more than 12 before. Switchover from sucking air was much faster than before. I should have done this job when i first got the truck running. Will find out about the rear tank next Thursday when i haul a big load south.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad the repairs worked. Hope the wife is out of that place she was in too... Hospitals scare me.. Lots of problems there that people catch just because they are there. If one thinks about it long enough it will drive them crazy. Seems I have been in hospitals for family all my life. I still can't get used to it. Wife spent 5 weeks hospitalized before our daughter was born... Then we spent another 2 months visiting and waiting for our daughter to come home... She weighed 2 lbs 13 ozs at birth... Had to weigh at least 4 lbs 8 ozs to leave... she was 4 lbs 8 & 1/3rd oz when we left.... Just made it too... Hospitals have their place.. I'm just not comfortable in them... Can't wit to read your writeup on this great job too...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online