Fuel pump semi-emergency

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I'm replacing my fuel pump, and the new one I got from O'Reilly has a different shape to the arm. Will this one work also? I checked a few sites, and I've seen both arm shapes for 6.9 pumps...are they interchangeable? This is kind of important b/c I'm losing daylight and I need the truck for the new job I'm starting tomorrow morning.

Pic of old and new pumps:

You must be registered for see images attach

Any help is appreciated!

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it is the correct one. Why they changed the arm design I'm not sure.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... That will work fine but.. Just make sure its installed under the cam lobe.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I'm taking your word for it 1dieselman. Gotta get this thing done, so I'm putting it on.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Yes... That will work fine but.. Just make sure its installed under the cam lobe.

Wait...what? Is there a way to install it and NOT have it under the lobe? It fits flush in the hole and the bolts line up...what else do I need to align?

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
you should be fine..when you put it in there position the arm as low as it will go and then mount it flush with the block..you should be good then.. i also installed the same type you have in mine..works fine..

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait...what? Is there a way to install it and NOT have it under the lobe? It fits flush in the hole and the bolts line up...what else do I need to align?

I just replaced my lift pump for the second time in six months about five weeks ago.
You need to ensure that the crankshaft lobe that actuates the lift pump arm is at the lowest point possible when you install your lift pump. You'll need a mirror and a flashlight to do this. I had my brother crank on the engine while I laid on the ground with my mirror and flashlight aimed into the crankcase. It's a little tricky, but once you see the crank spinning around you'll understand.
The NAPA lift pump I got had instructions in the box it came with explaining what you need to do.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually tried to intentionally install my lift pump the wrong way just to see how easy it is to make that mistake, and I have to say about the only way I could come up with is if you slide the pump in and up from under the engine. However I did install my pump from the top (air pump needs removed first), essentially I just drop the pump in and down while sliding the arm against the bottom edge of the engine block opening for it, this way the arm has no chance of getting on the top side of the cam.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive never been able to put one in incorrectly, I just aim the arm down and slide it in. I have found that the extra height from the dana 60 makes it alittle more difficult for me to reach up and bolt it in, but im kinda short.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
OK got it on, took it for a spin, seems good. I'll thrash it some tomorrow and see if my surging problem is fixed.

Thanks to everyone! If it wasn't for OB, I really don't know what I'd do!

Also, I found that a 1.5" hole sawed through the inner fender makes the job ALOT easier. You can get to both bolts with a 3"+12" extension with a universal in-between. I didn't have to remove any other components, and it is behind the rubber splash shield so it's covered up.

Last edited: