Fuel pump bypass? or block off plate?

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've just installed a holley red pump, right after the selector valve. My real question is has anyone left the mechanical pump in place, just unhooked the fuel lines. Will this do any damage? and what block off plate fits these motors? Any info would be appreciated.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I installed the block off plate on mine too but when We did Charlies truck (landscapeman) , the block off plate would not work and We left the pump on place for some time. No problems, besides the pump would just pump air or if You put some fuel on the line (I did) it will pump it forever but it would be best to just get rid of it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Remove the lift pump. If you leave it in place it will fail and start leaking motor oil. The rubber diaphram will heat up because of no fuel going thru it. Just get a chevy block off plate and call it done. Caution... Some plates are just a little too tall and need some lite grinding on top to fit. Mine didn't but some have.

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the info guys, I'll probably just bypass it for now, and the next time I get to the speed shop(like there's enough time to get there) I'll pick up a block off plate. You guys are great

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it is a good place for an oil leak if you leave it in place? Mine has been just flopping for a year and a half. I have teh 454 block off plate and gasket but I'm scared to mess with it since I had a horrible time changing the lift pump itself. Turned into an all day job! Maybe I just suck at working on these trucks?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
JD... Its really easy to install the plate. Use some rtv and just tighten it up. You don't have that pump arm to mess with. Its just a cover for the hole.:D

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually it was getting that back bolt for the pump in that was so bad...and when I did get it in it leaked like crazy, to the point where we needed to take it to a merchanic to fix it. Well I will mess with it eventually, especially if there ever becomes a susbstantial leak there,
J.D.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Actually it was getting that back bolt for the pump in that was so bad...and when I did get it in it leaked like crazy, to the point where we needed to take it to a merchanic to fix it. Well I will mess with it eventually, especially if there ever becomes a susbstantial leak there,
J.D.

It is not easy to get the bolt out but remember it will only go back with th block off plate and that is really easy. You can get the bolt out with a 14mm (or was it 13mm/ 9/16) and a short extension. Slow but it will come out, clean really well and check if the new block off plate fits well then put enough gascket maker and go ride.