fuel pressure gauge

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am convinced that a fuel pressure gauge in the cab is an excellent idea (right up there with engine temp gauge and EGT which I have). Now for you experts, is it OK to use the shrader valve for this or is the proper way to do this to tap into a steel line? Also I assume the shrader valve is on the output side of the fuel filter, is this correct? Finally, can somebody tell me how the fuel filter light is activated, i.e. how that sensor works? It seems to function like an idiot light for low fuel pressure. Thanks in advance. Jim

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I'm planning on running 2 gauges- one before the filter and one after the filter. That way I know just when my filter is gummed up. At 30 bucks a pop it will more than pay for itself I reckon

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fuel pressure light is a vacuum switch, when the IP is sucking on the filter and there aint no flow it turns on. I know that mine works from when I plugged my electric primer pump screen.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I see youre running an electrical pump. I have the stock pump. does a 0-15psi gauge work for me do i need a 0-100 psi gauge. also what oil pressure range do i need?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
0-15 will be more than enough for your mechanical pump. The 0-100 is typical for oil pressure gauges as well.

Heath

gatorman21218

Reaction score
thanks. i'm gonna run a mechanical gauge with an isolator. i'm not a big fan of electric gauges they seen to lag a bit more than the mech ones and i dont trust their accuracy either

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand. But, I've been very impressed with the Autometer unit and have not seen any lag what so ever. When I pin the throttle the pressure drops immedately as expected. I love it.;Sweet I'll be putting another on my crew cab this spring.

Heath

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To properly plumb a fuel-pressure gauge, (and I prefer mechanical by the way---I have never had a negative issue), Ascertain the thread and fitting type at the fuel-filter OUTLET.

Install a TEE into the filter outlet that has 1/8-NPT opening for the gauge plumbing.

Into this TEE, first goes a McMaster-CARR 1/8-NPT male x female stainless ball-valve.

Next, screwed into the ball-valve is a McMaster-CARR 1/8-NPT male x female brass gauge-snubber; get the one that says "for air and other gasses", as it limits the pulsations better than the one for fuel.

Now, plumb your fuel-gauge line into the snubber.

Without the snubber, the needle will flinch with each pulse of the pump, soon wearing out the gauge.

The ball-valve is for shutting OFF the fuel, should the pressure-line ever get damaged.

I always install a ball-valve for all mechanical pressure gauge lines, oil or fuel.

There is such a thing as a safety gauge line that is filled with anti-freeze that is supposed to transmit the pressure reading to the gauge in the cab, but those are notoriously inaccurate and sometimes burst, dumping the anti-freeze into the cab.

If you use good gauge-line and make good connections, you will have no problems; it is diesel, not nitro-glycerine.

If you are afraid of the line in the cab, they make gauge-mounts that mount the gauge onto the cowl, just outside the windshield, and they look pretty cool; the gauge cares not that it is out in the weather; these same gauges live for years exposed to the elements on heavy equipment, farm-tractors, and the like.

You want a gauge "range" that puts your normal pressure in the center of the range; an 0-16-PSI is about right for a stock lift-pump.;Sweet

Last edited:

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a fuel pressure gauge mounted on the cowl of my old lightning, I cant count the number of times I was asked why I had a tach mounted outside of the truck.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score