Fuel lines

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually considered 3/8 PEX. It's not rated for diesel and only rated to 180 degrees but a lot of the bio fuel guys run it for several years with no issues.

Really? I never heard of that. Most biofuel will eat up rubbers and plastics unless they are rated for biofuel. That's why guys run viton seals and bio-fuel/diesel rated fuel hose. I'd be worried the pex would disintigrate over time.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol that is true about the steel lines. It put my harbor freight $17 bender on it's knees. I was 50/50 on steel vs aluminum because I was worried about kinking the aluminum too easily. I actually considered 3/8 PEX. It's not rated for diesel and only rated to 180 degrees but a lot of the bio fuel guys run it for several years with no issues. Just not good for an engine bay or near hot exhaust parts.

I think the Cummins p pump guys move to 1/2 lines when they are really pushing fuel out that pump. I think the db4 150 cc pump doesn't even require larger lines and a p pump Cummins can push MUCH more fuel than 150 cc pump.
Db4 hybrid pumps require larger lines, conestoga has it on there website and I do it too for my pumps.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right! This is from the Super Moose (which is a DB2)

"Because of this massive fuel flow, larger diameter lines and Moose Mister injectors are required, as is a 60 PSI external electric fuel pump and safety cutoff system. "

Db4 hybrid pumps require larger lines, conestoga has it on there website and I do it too for my pumps.

Hagan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic of my Cummins Bronco fuel line setup
You must be registered for see images attach

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's kinda what my plan is just to run a larger rear tank when I get it able to instal, for right now i was planning on making a temp set up to get through, I think since the 38 gallon bronco tank is more common I may go that route and sell my current extra tank I have. It's a home made on what but looks really well built, but the bronco tank swap maybe easier to do. Should I run a fuel pump on my fram more near the rear tank or just do a facet or carter under the hood?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate using steel brake line as fuel line. It's terrible to bend where you need it because its too strong. I used aluminum fuel line on 2 of my Cummins powered Ford trucks. On my crew cab I used a 38 gallon tank and used an electric pump to pump out the 17 gallons in the front tank to the back tank. I used 3/8" feed and 5/16" return. I flared the ends and used a hose clamp.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g2538

Like I said in my previous post, try the copper nickel line next time. It's very easy to work with and bend. Most of the auto stores carry it now. It has a brown color to it.

Hagan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said in my previous post, try the copper nickel line next time. It's very easy to work with and bend. Most of the auto stores carry it now. It has a brown color to it.

The first thing you said was that you could use steel line. I've just had good luck with the aluminum fuel line so that's what I've been using.

Btw a Bronco tank is 33 gallons not 38. But its easy to install and worth it the effort.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first thing you said was that you could use steel line. I've just had good luck with the aluminum fuel line so that's what I've been using.

Btw a Bronco tank is 33 gallons not 38. But its easy to install and worth it the effort.
The extra capacity tank you can buy for a bronco is 38 gallon. But yes normally they are 33 gallon tanks I own a 87 Bronco lol

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right! This is from the Super Moose (which is a DB2)

"Because of this massive fuel flow, larger diameter lines and Moose Mister injectors are required, as is a 60 PSI external electric fuel pump and safety cutoff system. "
This is because he isn't using DB4 parts and is attempting to get absolutely as much as fuel as possible out of a DB2. He needs the 60 psi because otherwise the plunger's won't fill fully at higher RPM.
He needs the bigger lines and injectors for the same reason - he's pushing the limits of what can be done with the dimensions of that pump.

I looked hard at it compared to a RD4-180, which honestly puts out as much fuel - it's just rated at less because R&D rates their pumps with 6.9 lines and stock injectors, and at 2800 RPM(vs peak flow, somewhere around 1200-1600rpm).

3/8 lines at a few PSI can make plenty of power, as long as your IP doesn't need any special requirememts.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is because he isn't using DB4 parts and is attempting to get absolutely as much as fuel as possible out of a DB2. He needs the 60 psi because otherwise the plunger's won't fill fully at higher RPM.
He needs the bigger lines and injectors for the same reason - he's pushing the limits of what can be done with the dimensions of that pump.

I looked hard at it compared to a RD4-180, which honestly puts out as much fuel - it's just rated at less because R&D rates their pumps with 6.9 lines and stock injectors, and at 2800 RPM(vs peak flow, somewhere around 1200-1600rpm).

3/8 lines at a few PSI can make plenty of power, as long as your IP doesn't need any special requirememts.
No the super moose is a db2/db4 hybrid, it’s a four plunger pump just like the rd4-180 that was made after it. It’s physically impossible to make that much fuel flow with two plungers.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ok, I should have said "metal" lines. The copper nickel works great for the brake lines also, it's all I use now. They still haven't figured out how to keep the threaded ends from rusting though.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 on the 38 gallon tank. I did my steel lines when I put the 38 gallon in the rear with a new sending unit 3 weeks ago.

The extra capacity tank you can buy for a bronco is 38 gallon. But yes normally they are 33 gallon tanks I own a 87 Bronco lol

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'll take you guys' word on it. I never did any checking on the capacity of the one in my 86 and I never filled it up from empty. The fuel gauge would say empty at about a half tank. I just decided that if I went by the gauge, I'd never run out. Worked like a charm too!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online