fuel leak

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck started running rougher on Thursday. I didn't really think anything of it, until Friday I started smelling fuel while driving. Then I came out of home depot and had a puddle of fuel under the truck. So I popped the hood while it was running and there is fuel squirting out between the hardline and the nut that tightens the hard line down onto the injector. It is the second injector from the front on the drivers side and it is coming out enough that it is spraying the fire wall and master cylinder. I also noticed that the clamps for the hard lines on that side are missing. They were there, but must have come loose and fallen off :dunno. I tried tightening the nut down, but it didn't make a difference.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it bad to keep driving on it for awhile, while I figure out what is wrong and get parts for it? It is pouring rain here today and I will be out of town tomorrow and then the work week starts and I need my truck for that, so realistically I probably wont get to it until next weekend.

The injectors are new, only a couple thousand miles on them.

gandalf

Reaction score
Without the clamps on those hard lines tend to split. It sounds very much like that is what happened. Personally I wouldn't drive it if I could at all avoid it. You're going to have to find those clamps, or other clamps, check all the hard lines on that side, and replace any leaking. I've found those clamps at a Pick-n-Pull.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without the clamps on those hard lines tend to split. It sounds very much like that is what happened. Personally I wouldn't drive it if I could at all avoid it. You're going to have to find those clamps, or other clamps, check all the hard lines on that side, and replace any leaking. I've found those clamps at a Pick-n-Pull.

so you think it may have split under the nut where it meets the top of the injector?

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are no lines around here locally. Our junk yards suck. How much for a complete set of lines? those clamps look different than the ones that were on my lines, but look like they should do the trick. thanks for the link.
Those are the oem style clamps so maybe yours has the wrong ones from the start? Do you need a complete set or just the drivers side set?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do not be an @IDIoit , try not runnin it long, its gunna get worse...
Pull the line off and see if ya can see what's causing the leak asap

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just went through some pics, and well just chalk that up to my fault.
the clamps were definitely on there. however, it looks loose in the pic.
check the valley pan, its most likely under your intake
been too long so i cant really remember, but your line is done.
I have lines I can overnight you., with clamps

You must be registered for see images attach

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just went through some pics, and well just chalk that up to my fault.
the clamps were definitely on there. however, it looks loose in the pic.
check the valley pan, its most likely under your intake
been too long so i cant really remember, but your line is done.
I have lines I can overnight you., with clamps

I wouldn’t say it’s your fault. I know the clamp was on there. I remember seeing it. Whether it was loose or not I don’t know. I will check the valley pan in the morning.
But if you have some extra lines you want to get rid of, I will take them off your hands. I will dm you my address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Line clamps are there for vibration from the injection pulses. They MUST in tight and in place. Gandalf posted the exact pic you need to study. Now something bout the original rubbers and clamps. The original nut and bolt is impossible to put back together.Please buy longer bolts. Also use a pair of needle nose vice grips to hold the clamps together. Really matters if you put the bolt thru the top or the bottom too. Do what ever you need to make it fit. The bolts are 1/4 inch. Make them about 3/4 inch long. I use electrical tape for the nut. I set it up in the open or cloed end of a 7/16 wrench. then screw the bolt down into it..

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big thank you to @IDIoit for sending out some hardlines with clamps for me. worked like a charm and all is well again. as a warning to others, I knew you were supposed to have the clamp on there, i just didnt know it had fallen off, but i never knew it would cause this kind of damage.

I loosened up the nut at the top of the injector and this is how it came off :eek: so double check your hard line clamps!!

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I tend to think that when adjusting the timing at the IP, the lines get stressed and stays that way until its losen. It stays in tension and vibrates in tension. When I time my IP, I re-install the lines and bend them properly into the injectors. then clamp them all.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online