Fuel Leak

BoostFiend

Reaction score
Well I discovered that I mild fuel leak. At first I thought it was oil but see some occasional drips coming from behind the engine I tracked it down to the rubber return line on the rear of the engine. I am assuming this line is running back to the fuel tank. Does anyone know a part number or is this just something I need to take off and measure.
Also does anyone have a fuel system diagram?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Is it the rubber line that connects to the plastic line? If so just use some diesel fuel rated fuel line. It might be the fuel return line gasket thats found at the number 7 intake manifold to head location. I don't know if you have a 3/8th inch hard line that runs down the drivers side of the motor at the head to intake flange but... If you do way at the back there is a three way fitting. It has a square gasket in it. Its called an olive. They come in return line repair kits. Many don't know these gaskets are in this fitting. I sure didn't till I took the fitting apart just to see what was inside the fitting. Take that line completelt off the motor so its easier to work on. Post back what you find too.

BoostFiend

Reaction score
Well after I get off work its dark out so Its hard to tell for sure but I think this connects to a metal line, It connects back close to the oil sending unit and glow plug controller is located and runs down close to the bellhousing and looks like it goes towards the fuel tanks.

BoostFiend

Reaction score
Well from the schematic it is defiantly the return line to the tank. I am curious though and this is probably a dumb question. But since there is dual tanks , which tank to the return fuel line go to or does it go the one that is selected to use from?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fuel tank selector valve routes both supply and return, so yes the fuel goes to the tank that is selected.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I had those square gaskets fail in between my fuel filter and IP. I ended up using some fuel line as a replacement. Its working for now but I would like to fix it the right way. Who sells a return line repair kit that includes these gaskets?