Fuel leak at lift pump line that goes to filter

transmogrifiednow

Reaction score
I've got what appears to be a leak coming out right here where the arrow is pointing in the picture--at the brass fitting that screws in the steel line that goes to the fuel filter. I have verified that the fuel is not dripping down from somewhere else (89% sure, at least), and I have used a line wrench to tighten that fitting as far as it can go. It looks like it is not all the way screwed in, but that's how my last lift pump looked. Is that how it is supposed to be? Has anyone else had a leak right here? If so, any clue on how to fix it? I'm told there shouldn't be an olive at that location, and that maybe I should put some gasket maker on that fitting. Hmmm....
You must be registered for see images attach

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use two wrenches to tighten the fitting. Hold the 90* fitting going into the lift pump, tighten the fitting that your arrow is pointing too. That is a flare fitting and takes quite a bit of torque to tighten. Do Not use any Teflon tape on it, Teflon paste is OK to use tho.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Don't worry bout how many threads are showing. Means nothing. I can'r say why this leaks other than some burrs or crap on the compression seats. Might take this apart and have a look see. As for using thread tape or other forms of thread sealant. Really nothing will seal the threads. That's not works leaking. Its the compression fitting seats inside this fitting. Sorry for the not so nice news. Also know this line runs to the filter inlet so any sealant used WILL GET CAUGHT by the filter. No harm will come to the injection pump because any dirt or trash must get thru the filter.. Not very likely.

transmogrifiednow

Reaction score
Looks like the double wrenching stopped the leak. Thanks for the input and for helping my brain cell get crankin. That was the last piece of the fuel line air intrusion/leak puzzle. Just need to lift the bed and service those pick up feet in the tanks so I can actually use all my fuel now that it ain't leakin out the return lines! Dadgum!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would be pulling and inspecting.
tube fittings are designed not to leak.

the pump side is flared and so is the tube, the nut tightens the two.

if there is still air intrusion, i would suspect that the flare is cracked.

we pulled this line off an 85 the other day and noticed that line had a heater on it as well!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Brian most if not all early 6.9 engines had this fuel line heater. I have never found a truck where these line heaters worked. It took me plenty of talking before I found someone that really knew what that larger piece of tubing was .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828