Fuel issues?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
...or you could build/buy a hard line delete kit. It does away with the "olives".
Member TYP4 sells them. https://russrepair.com/fuel-system-components/hardline-delete-kits/
Just remember that, since this is a van, the delete line may be the wrong length anyway since the filter is in a different location than on the trucks.
Low Tech, if you have the time, and do want to, this would be a good excuse to relocate the filter. Russ may be willing to help you out with sourcing some of the parts to do a hard line delete with a relocated filter. You'd have to ask him about that.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like the closest dealer is 70 miles away. Do you know what size they are and some online sources?

I ordered a set from diesel o rings because I needed something else from them but I'd buy from Russ otherwise. Might be able to find them on eBay or something.

The line before the filter is 3/8 and I THINK the line after the filter is 5/16 but I'd have to check.

Line before the filter has one at the filter. Line after the filter has one at each end. (at least on a pickup).

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The line before the filter is 3/8 and I THINK the line after the filter is 5/16 but I'd have to check.

Line before the filter has one at the filter. Line after the filter has one at each end. (at least on a pickup).
Right on both accounts. I think that the vans have the same olive set up before the IP. The vans generally have the fuel filter on top of the intake manifold and the hard lines on either side of the filters are really wonky looking in their routing. They are also a big PITA to work on so that's why I suggested that it would be a good time to relocate the filter seeing as how it needs attention anyway. I'm NOT pushing for a filter relocation, only suggesting it as an option that he was already considering.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just remember that, since this is a van, the delete line may be the wrong length anyway since the filter is in a different location than on the trucks.
Low Tech, if you have the time, and do want to, this would be a good excuse to relocate the filter. Russ may be willing to help you out with sourcing some of the parts to do a hard line delete with a relocated filter. You'd have to ask him about that.
Right. But the line is just rubber hose. The fittings that Russ supplies are the key and, I think, should be what he needs for the task?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I didn't know that one. That makes me happy because I was wondering how to eliminate the fuel filter on my crew cab project when I get back to it. I already have the electric pump and a water separator to put along the frame before the e pump.

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
Right. But the line is just rubber hose. The fittings that Russ supplies are the key and, I think, should be what he needs for the task?
I'm definitely going to contact him when I have a moment to see what can be arranged as far as parts, thanks!
Of course I would love to have just one or two of the olives that I could put in now and save the relocate until I was closer to civilization and parts stores. LOL

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course I would love to have just one or two of the olives that I could put in now and save the relocate until I was closer to civilization and parts stores

Check here https://dieselorings.com/products/7...n-sleeve-3-8-inch?_pos=3&_sid=2f1c3a44c&_ss=r

They might be closer to you than they are to me. They're in Colorado I think? That would at least hold you over. They have both sizes on the site but they aren't listed correctly. Might be easier to just give them a call.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nope. That kit only has one 3/8 and one 5/16. You need two 5/16 and the 1/4 aren't used on our trucks.

As far as I know, NA trucks use a 3/8 at the filter head and 2 pcs 5/16 (one at each end of the filter to IP line).

Some early trucks had a steel return line that use one but mine don't so I can't speak on that. I believe the factory turbo trucks use one or two on the oil feed for the turbo but I can't confirm that either.

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
It looks like they also sell them individually but they have the parts numbers different than in the kit. I'll have to call and clear that up but it looks as if I can just order a few for now and do the change of location at a more appropriate time.
Thanks @chillman88

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like they also sell them individually but they have the parts numbers different than in the kit. I'll have to call and clear that up but it looks as if I can just order a few for now and do the change of location at a more appropriate time.
Thanks @chillman88

You're welcome.

I believe the 5/16 ones are actually labelled wrong in the listing, but they sent the correct ones anyway. I think the 5/16 ones are supposed to be "-5" but they have them listed as "-4".

I didn't really care since I got the correct ones when the mail showed up, but if you're crossing part numbers that's probably what you're seeing.

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
After they took a week to get to Denver they took a little less to get here, so almost two weeks to get them in hand.
Of course that was right before we had sandstorm level winds for 3 days.
So anyway finally had a chance to pull the line off the filter head . . . and I can't find the olive. Not that I have any kind of sight line w/ where they mount the filter in these though I have tried getting a mirror in there to no avail. Would it be stuck in the nut? If so how do you get them out? When I work the nut down the line a bit I just see metal tube w/ nothing on it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Would it be stuck in the nut? If so how do you get them out?
Yes, most likely. I like to use a pick or small screwdriver to dig at them until they come out. You'll probably have to pull a few smaller pieces of it off before the rest will come out.

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
Ookaaay . . .
If I disconnect it from the IP as well is it going to be challenging to thread it back through the injectors lines? From my limit view it looks like it's a bit woven in w/ them, and remember this is w/ my face to the dash and arms up to my shoulders through the 12" space between the top of the engine and the bottom of the dash.:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online