Fuel in the coolant? What the.....?!?

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your oil smell like fuel?
Nope - just answered that question two posts back in this same thread...

BTW, I did a l-o-n-g and s-l-o-w flush of the system last night. Blocked off the airflow through the radiator so the temp would stay up and keep the t-stat open, propped the throttle open to keep it idling at 1500 RPMs, hooked up the garden hose and just cracked the valve open enough for a flow of about a gallon every 5 minutes or so. I let it sit and go like that for the better part of an hour - well past the point where the water coming out was nice and clear. Temp stayed up in the mid-range of the guage and the t-stat was open the whole time. Then just for good measure, I opened the hose valve up all the way and let it run at full flow for another 15 minutes or so. Then I even stuck the garden hose into the bottom of the overflow bottle and let it run for a few minutes to push everything out of it. So, I KNOW damned well I got EVERYTHING flushed out of the whole system.

When I got to work and checked it this morning there was more of the same gunk in the radiator - though it seemed like there was less of it today than there was yesterday. I'm really at a total loss as to what the hell is going on with the damned thing. I'm going to use it for my camping trip this weekend and see what happens (I'll be packing along SEVERAL jugs of water - just in case). After that I'm going to try pressurizing the tranny cooler with air and see if I get bubbles in the radiator.

For now, I'm just going to drive it, keep an eye on it, and see what the heck happens......

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Just a thought here, but have you looked real close to see if a previous owner had installed any coolant heated fuel filters or fuel heaters anywhere on the truck? Any remnants of a veg oil conversion? That's a sure fire way to get fuel in the coolant if something goes bad, especially one of those hose in hose setups.

------Robert

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought here, but have you looked real close to see if a previous owner had installed any coolant heated fuel filters or fuel heaters anywhere on the truck? Any remnants of a veg oil conversion? That's a sure fire way to get fuel in the coolant if something goes bad, especially one of those hose in hose setups.

------Robert

Good thought - I haven't specifically looked for one, but I've been all over the engine bay and underneath the truck and haven't seen any "add-ons" like that or any splices into the cooling system. I'll take a hard look with that in mind just to make sure though.

Just before the filter there is a larger diameter pipe around the fuel line. Its a factory setup and it seems like I've heard it referred to as a fuel line heater. I haven't ever looked at it real close, does that work by coolant circulation or is it electrical?

Last edited:

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think this is a huge issue. If you're really worried about it, install a coolant filter and then cut the filter open to see what was strained out of the cooling system. The fuel heater is electrical. There should be a wire going into it from the bottom.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think this is a huge issue. If you're really worried about it, install a coolant filter and then cut the filter open to see what was strained out of the cooling system. The fuel heater is electrical. There should be a wire going into it from the bottom.

I'm kinda' getting to that point myself. After driving it to and from work today there is some gunk in the radiator and the overflow, but it seems like there is a lot less of it than there was yesterday, and less yesterday than there was the day before that. So it at least seems to be getting better - not worse. I'm just going to drive it and watch it and see what happens. Maybe flush it a couple of more times and see if it continues to improve. As long as it doesn't start getting worse, and the engine temps stay normal, I think I'm just going to quit worrying about it. But if I ever figure it out I'll be sure to let you guys know....

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
with a coolant heater fuel line, I would suspect coolant getting in the fuel long before fuel getting in the coolant.....
just the pressures involved.

I would have just bottled this truck up and driven it until there is an obvious problem

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost tore a head off one of my cars because of some Bars Rad Stop Leak. That crud will make your coolant turn milky white/brown. Actually, come to think of it, I think it smells like diesel too.

I'd dye your fuel, and see if it is coming from your tanks! I wouldn't be surprised, even after all this flushing, if it's something like over from the previous owner.

Some sorta additive jammed in a scaled up heater core or rad could slowly leak out.

timemaker44

Reaction score
i have the same problem with fuel in antifreeze,my truck is manual trans,ford place says its the fuel injector sleeves, 23 hrs to fix, if you want all 8 sleeves replaced,they said both heads have to be took off to get to them.all together they want 2500.00 to fix it