Fuel gage issue

Goldenarrow

Reaction score
Hey Guys I have searched and found many people who have had the same or similar issues but still can't pinpoint the issue I am having with my fuel gage.
Truck is a new to me 1990 f250 and the fuel gage shows past full when switched to either tank. I know the rear tank is empty because I dropped it to make sure I got all the gasoline out that was put in by a nephew of the P.O. I'm not sure what's in the front tank but I doubt it's full.

I can hear the fuel selector valve thunk when I hit the switch so I believe it works.

I tried unplugging the switch to see if that moved the needle and it didn't. Then I tried grounding the contacts at the switch conecter one by one to see if that moved the needle but that also had no effect so I tried the same procedure at the tank selector valve connector also with no effect.

Now I'm thinking that the problem must be at the gage itself unless it's in the wire somewhere between the gage and one of the two connectors I was messing with. I don't have a wiring diagram yet but my brother is supposed to try to get me one tomorrow.

The gage does have power because when you turn the key on the needle does move slightly higher.

Do you think pulling the instrument cluster itself is my next step?

Is it a phisical gage with contacts in the back or is it just a printed circut board?

How do you pull the gage cluster I unscrewed it the other day but I wasn't able to pull it out. Is a speedo cable holding it in?