Fuel filter results

ibapaine

Reaction score
So I changed my fuel filter out today these were the results. Looks to me like there’s a lot of water there. Is this typical or should I?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 27

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a lot of water! 41 years of owning diesel pickups I've never seen that much from one filter draining.

ibapaine

Reaction score
Yea I’m new to the diesel industry but I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw this. Bad fuel?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Could be bad fuel from a fuel station, or water got in your tank somehow. If I see any water in a separator, usually it's an ounce or two.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I use that fuel filter on my '87 6.9 n/a that doesn't seem to have a water separator anywhere?

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a bunch of water. Only time I see that much is if a person has gotten a bad fill up causing the truck to run rough. Did you change it for a reason or was it just time? How many months/miles were on it? Do you still have the filter vacuum light and is it operational?

IMO, buy 2 filters, install one and put the other in the cab as a backup. Then add a bottle of clear diesel from power service to the tank.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of people hate them, but the 2 piece filters with the clear bowl are nice for this reason. You'd have seen the water plain as day when you opened the hood.

ibapaine

Reaction score
That is a bunch of water. Only time I see that much is if a person has gotten a bad fill up causing the truck to run rough. Did you change it for a reason or was it just time? How many months/miles were on it? Do you still have the filter vacuum light and is it operational?

IMO, buy 2 filters, install one and put the other in the cab as a backup. Then add a bottle of clear diesel from power service to the tank.
Yea the lift pump is bad I think. Truck stalls of deceleration. If allowed to come down slowly then truck stays at idle. I bought the truck last December. Hadn’t replaced the fuel filter yet so figured I’d try that first. Filled up with atf, drove it about 4 miles last night. Didn’t see improvement. Gonna replace lift pump today. Light comes on dash at start up, but is never on any other time so I would guess not.
I know a lot of people hate them, but the 2 piece filters with the clear bowl are nice for this reason. You'd have seen the water plain as day when you opened the hood.
Correct but you can’t find that part anywhere. This is what came when I bought it.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer. I didn't look to see if they were still available, I just remember finding and reading about them.

If it stalls while decelerating that'd typically be a sticking delivery valve, not a lift pump. I believe the atf has to sit in the injection pump overnight for it to have a shot at cleaning the pump. Most fill the filter, run the truck for 30 or so seconds, and then leave it sit overnight.

You can also run hot shots injector cleaner in the tank, or really any injector/pump cleaner, and do the same thing. Some need a few treated tanks to work. Some guys have luck with it, some haven't and replaced the pump to fix it.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you use an additive that will disperse the water it will place the water in suspension in tiny droplets - untreated diesel fuel will leave the water on the bottom of the tank where you have a chance of draining the water out rather than the entire contents.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you use an additive that will disperse the water it will place the water in suspension in tiny droplets - untreated diesel fuel will leave the water on the bottom of the tank where you have a chance of draining the water out rather than the entire contents.
There is no drain on the bottom of the tank.
Also the Shower head sucks from the bottom of the tank.

These trucks need better fuel filtration than what comes stock.
My 86 had the water separator on the Fire Wall that is prone to leak, Was all ready bypassed long before I bought the truck.

I replaced it with a Racor 500FG in it`s place with a 2 micron filter. Has a large Bowl on the bottom that can be drained.
I have used the smaller version, the 200FG on my Mercedes and Datsun Diesel 720. I have never had fuel problems, and had these things Diesels since 81.

That is a ton of water you drained out, never had anything like that. Like said, could have been from a fill up at a station, or some kid dumping water in the tank or???
You mentioned you just bought the truck, maybe it was there when you purchased it. Who know`s how long that Filter has been on the Engine.

Goat

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 86 had the water separator on the Fire Wall that is prone to leak, Was all ready bypassed long before I bought the truck.
I replaced it with a Racor 500FG in it`s place with a 2 micron filter. Has a large Bowl on the bottom that can be drained.

Goat
I'd like to put a water separator back in my ('87 6.9 n/a) system also.
-Where is a good place to split the fuel line?
- I thought I'd seen one that also had a fuel primer? I'd REALLY like one of those since my fuel gauge doesn't work and I don't know the condition of my showerhead.
Any help/advice appreciated.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
-Where is a good place to split the fuel line?
If your original water separator was bypassed and the steel lines were left alone, that would be a good place to hook into the line. Originally, there was two steel lines that both pointed up toward the separator. The easiest way to bypass it is to run some rubber fuel line between both steel lines. If this has been done, it's as easy as removing the rubber bypass hose. In case you didn't know the stock separator is underneath and of the master cylinder.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin