Fuel Filter Question

TangTonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bear with me here, new to diesels and this was my first fuel filter change.

So I did my research on here and learned that Fleetguard was a better filter to go with than a Wix, due to the micron rating. I found a good price for Fleetguard FS1281 filters and ordered three. Yesterday, I removed my Wix 33217 filter and tried to install the Fleetguard. Well, go figure, the bottom bowl won't screw onto the Fleetguard :backoff. After spilling ATF everywhere, I got the brand new filter off and reinstalled the old one. Cracked the injector line and she fired up.

So since I live on an island, parts are limited. The Napa here has the Wix 3147 which is the bowl delete for about $45. I really would like to change the filter because I have my WMO cocktail ready to go, but don't want to try it out with a dirty filter.

Questions:

Are Fleetguards a different micron rating than WIX?
How to I make my FS1281 filter work?
Is it worth spending $45 on the WIX until I can use the (3) Fleetguards I got for the price of this one WIX?

On a sidenote, I am grateful to have a place like this forum to ask these questions. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the wix interchange guide shows the fleetgaurd and the wix should be interchangeable. just for S&G can you post a pic of the filter head?
is the wix 33617 avail at you parts house? that is the one that superceeds the 33217 and deletes the spin-on base.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I run the Wix, always have, most likely always will. I also run the one without the filter bowl on the bottom, parts numbers are in the parts bin based on rather you need a water in fuel sensor port or not.

TangTonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I found a bowl to screw on to the Fleetguard filters I bought. So what should I do with the Water in Fuel sensor wire? Can I just clip it and wire nut it?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just let it hang.You may want it some day . wire nuts are for houses.