Fuel filter "o" ring

slyhog022056

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey folks, i have a 91 ford 7.3 idi. I keep having problems with the o ring around the bottom of the fuel filter leaking and letting fuel drip onto my exhaust.
Does anyone know a fix for this?? I have had to replace the oring 4 times in the last 4 or 5 months which meant having to buy a new filter everytime just to get the oring. Is there a larger oring out there?? Is there an alternative to using the factory filter? I am open to any suggestions right now, using a quarter of a tank of fuel to go 30 miles is getting old. I have even tried removing the probe in the bottom ans sanding down the face of the seal area.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
my bet is the drain is whats really leaking and not the bottom seal. But if you are sure its the gasket O ring than do as suggested and replace the entire bottom piece. Normally we see the top electrical plug for the heater o ring leaking. then fuel runs down the side causing a mess. Repair for that is remove the heater element and use a pipe plug or most any RTV or JB Weld to plug the open hole. The pressure on the fuel filter is about 6 lbs. No chance for a leak.

slyhog022056

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well truck weighs in at 9000 lbs, getting 9 to 10 mpg, only get black smoke when close to full throttle, other wise it is burning clean, have replaced injectors - motorcraft, injection timing is set right at the factory scribe marks on the housing, injector pump isnt new but only has about 75,000 miles on it, factory style air filter, exhaust is dual 3" with flowmaster mufflers. Dont know what else i can do. on straight level highway it takes me a good 1/4 mile to get from 0 to 70 mph.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um, couple of things: you sure they were new injectors? The timing marks really mean nothing, since all pumps are different internally. Find someone with a timing meter, or rent one from Gary (icanfixall on these forums) and set the timing properly.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What truck do you have and how is it set up? 9k lbs sounds like an F350 cab and chassis/dump/welder rig or some sort of F-super duty with a flatbed,hydraulic lift gate,boom truck or something.
You've got us curious.Do tell.:D

"91 ford 7.3 idi" is just too vague.

slyhog022056

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well rebuilt injectors from d=Dieselogic, also replace every fuel line, fuel hos, those plastic fuel injector caps. As far as finding someone to time it, i cant find anyone locally that still has the correct equipment to do it. i have called and checked with probably 20 places. the timing is set to the line because i set it there, it was counterclockwise (looking from back of engine) about 1/4 inch when i got the truck.

slyhog022056

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F350, 4 door, 8 ft service bed, probably 2000 lbs tools, front and rear bumpers, side steps i built from 3/8 treadplate, 800 lbs total i know for a fact. it now has bed extended down to the level of the rear bumper, both side steps, folding bed cover from 1/8 steel plate and 1 inch tubing, rear tailgate from 1/8 polished stainless steel with 1 1/4 angle frame. windshield visor from 14 ga
You must be registered for see images attach
polished stainless steel

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, well, setting it to the lines on the pump may be worse off than where it was. Just saying. Also, there are several known good sources for injectors. Going elsewhere has been proven to be pretty much a crap shoot.