Fuel filter location ?

JRNOLL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend called my wife and said she had a" water in filter light " come on. and asked if I could change the filter she bought. The truck is a 1972 ford ( not sure if a 250 or a 350 ) diesel. Does anyone know where the filter is located? I'm working graveyard shifts until the first of the year, so my son may end up changing it. I do not have the truck where I can look at it. Thank you for the help. Joe

e30bradley

Reaction score
if its a 72 than its custom built.. No diesel engines available back then.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it don't have the filter on the firewall drivers side then it's the filter on the pass side. Either way it has to be drained. If it's a filter on drivers side there is a ring to pull up to drain it, most times there is gunk in the bottom of it and won't seal after draining, then you get air intrusion. If it's the filter on pass side, there is a drain valve on the bottom, if it's a Van that filter is on the drivers side.

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In 1972 they had 5 choices for engines. 3.9 v6 4.9 v6 5.0 v8 5.9 v8 and 6.4 v8. Depending on what has been modified, the fuel filter could be located on the bottom of the fuel pump inside a small canister, the other style would have the fuel filter screwed into the carb at the fuel inlet. If its the canister on the bottom of the fuel pump just unscrew and put new filter with new o-ring on and your good to go.

Last edited:

JRNOLL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all. I found out that the truck is a 92 not 72. The DW misinformed me of the year. Sometimes she needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Anyone have a 50 lb. block? Anyway thank you. Joe

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Was just going to ask if it was a 92 and not a 72.. Go easy on the wife. She really has no need to know these things. Its nice if she does but not necessary. Years ago some wise ass was asking for a set of spark plugs for his ford 250. Counter guy asked what size engine. Guy had no idea and when asked 6 or 8 cylinder he said he just wanted a set of plugs for his 250. Got real mad about it too cause he was embarrassed. Poor counter guy wanted to help him but gees. No what you want. 6 or 8 cylinder means a lot.

JRNOLL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Up date on filter location.

Here is the update on the filter change. Son changed the filter but found it was leaking before change. It had a valve somewhat like I have on my early 99. He hunted down a new O-ring changed out the filter and all is good. Our friend called to thank him again and brag on him. She is a widow and her late husband did all the work on the truck.

Again, Thanks for the help.

Joe

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kudeo's to you Joe and your Son. Lot of satisfaction helping someone out, specially a widow. You can bet the favor will be returned someday. Congrats.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance