Fuel Filter Heater 7.3 Info?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dammit...sure enough, the recent cold weather snap got that fuel heater to leaking...looks like I gotta get in there.
And I just installed a new fuel filter when I replaced the o-ring in the lower water sensor sending unit.

So are you going to keep the expensive doesnt work worth beans no sense even having it OEM heater or remove it and run a pipe plug?

Are you building a concours show truck or a truck that works well with less than factory failure points?

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few years ago mine started leaking. Since we have spells up here in the winter where the high is below 0* I decided to replace the o-ring "Just in case" the heater actually did anything to preheat the fuel as it entered the filter. Now 3 years later it started leaking again after changing the fuel filter...just like last time. I went ahead and tapped the hole and installed a 1/2" pipe plug with JB Weld on the threads. Decided I didn't want to have to do it again in another 3 years.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So are you going to keep the expensive doesnt work worth beans no sense even having it OEM heater or remove it and run a pipe plug?

Are you building a concours show truck or a truck that works well with less than factory failure points?
Not sure yet, I have a feeling the top plastic plug will indeed break off and if so I'll just tap and plug it.
I do have the 1/2" tap but the threads are 13 vs 14.
After 27 years I'm sick of the smell of diesel fuel.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A 1/2 inch taper thread pipe tap has 14 threads per inch and requires a 23/32 size drill bit. Now something funny is a 3/4 inch pipe tap requires a 59/64 drill bit for the same 14 threads per inch. Wonder why the same thread count requires a different drill size... Anyone care a guess....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 1/2 inch taper thread pipe tap has 14 threads per inch and requires a 23/32 size drill bit. Now something funny is a 3/4 inch pipe tap requires a 59/64 drill bit for the same 14 threads per inch. Wonder why the same thread count requires a different drill size... Anyone care a guess....

Because 3/4" is 1/4" larger than 1/2"

captaaron

Reaction score
Thank you for this info! I tried several different o rings before I found this thread... wish I would've come here first.I ended up getting a 1/2 npt plug and tap....it worked great!!

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I replaced both O-rings, to change out the inner o-ring the heater was a mother to get out of the filter housing.
Put it all back together and fuel is exiting up and out of the center metal connector.
So, off it's coming and I'm plugging it.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hole tapped looking to seal the plug...I'm guessing diesel fuel will eat Teflon tape or pipe dope, and what about Ultra Gray silicone?
If I use JB Weld I have to wait 24 hours for it to cure.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they have quick cure jb weld. i was out on one of my camping/hiking adventures this summer with my little car.while driving down a dirt road i hit a rock and poked a hole in my oil pan! while driving she kept enough lube circulating.i was able to drive it to an auto store without the oil light flickering so long as i didn't stay idling too long lol! so i grabbed some jb weld quick set,topped up the oil and drove to the hiking trail.i also grabbed some brake clean.i cleaned up the hole,applied the quick set.let it sit for 10 mins then poured in the oil and took off........she's never leaked again since.
http://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-8276-KwikWeld-Reinforced/dp/B0006O1ICY

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I replaced both O-rings, to change out the inner o-ring the heater was a mother to get out of the filter housing.
Put it all back together and fuel is exiting up and out of the center metal connector.
So, off it's coming and I'm plugging it.

Not going to say we told ya too in first place...that would be mean:rotflmao

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not going to say we told ya too in first place...that would be mean:rotflmao
Ok ya got me there but i know how the o-ring failed...when tightening the large filter nut I noticed the heater assembly also turned a little bit. This must have forced the o-ring to one side thus compromising the seal. There was no was to stop the heater assembly from turning a slight bit. Oh well!

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they have quick cure jb weld. i was out on one of my camping/hiking adventures this summer with my little car.while driving down a dirt road i hit a rock and poked a hole in my oil pan! while driving she kept enough lube circulating.i was able to drive it to an auto store without the oil light flickering so long as i didn't stay idling too long lol! so i grabbed some jb weld quick set,topped up the oil and drove to the hiking trail.i also grabbed some brake clean.i cleaned up the hole,applied the quick set.let it sit for 10 mins then poured in the oil and took off........she's never leaked again since.
http://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-8276-KwikWeld-Reinforced/dp/B0006O1ICY
Here in lies the slight problem...as my truck is down I can't get to the store to get the JB quick set.
I do have the standard JB Weld (cure time 15-24 hours) I can set up a heat lamp to speed up cure time.
I also have Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket Sealant
Also, Permatex Ultra Gray and Ultra Black

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here in lies the slight problem...as my truck is down I can't get to the store to get the JB quick set.
I do have the standard JB Weld (cure time 15-24 hours) I can set up a heat lamp to speed up cure time.
I also have Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket Sealant
Also, Permatex Ultra Gray and Ultra Black

A tapered plug...with thread sealant....not teflon tape...NOT TEFLON TAPE should suffice!

Being a threaded plug if it does leak...you could take it apart a 3rd time once you get quick set stuff.

Or use overnigjt set wjth heat lamp on it!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah i was gunna say,you could even just put it in dry.it would probably never leak or bother but sometime when ya have more time just seal it.even if it weeps while your run to the store it's not gunna hurt anything.

so easily unconcerned says the guy with electric fuel pump lol.:D