Fuel Clear Return: How fast to purge

scjarena

Reaction score
Still new to the 7.3 IDI. I'm still trying to get the air purged out of the fuel system after I replaced a head on my 90 7.3. I have a clear tube for the return hose to the filter and it doesn't fill completely with fuel, there is still a lot of air in it. how fast should the line typically take to completely purge? Thanks

BTW, it did replace all the injector return fitting o-rings and inspected all other return hoses.

teach

Reaction score
I know when I had my IP pump replaced they guy who did if for me said he cranked on it for like 2hrs. That may have been a little bit of a exaggerations but I know it takes a while.

scjarena

Reaction score
yeah, I've gone thru this with this engine one other time and it takes a lot of cranking to get the system purged. It is the hardest type of diesel I've ever messed with the get the fuel system primed.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still new to the 7.3 IDI. I'm still trying to get the air purged out of the fuel system after I replaced a head on my 90 7.3. I have a clear tube for the return hose to the filter and it doesn't fill completely with fuel, there is still a lot of air in it. how fast should the line typically take to completely purge? Thanks

BTW, it did replace all the injector return fitting o-rings and inspected all other return hoses.

If you replaced a head then the injectors lines to that side very likely lost their prime. Loosen the injector line nut slightly and crank until fuel comes out. If it's being a real butthead, taking out the glowplugs will bleed compression and allow faster cranking.

scjarena

Reaction score
Good idea taking out the glowplugs. If it doesn't start in the next few attempts I think I'll try that.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya better disconnect the hot wire on the FSS on the IP, or you'll have fuel squirting out the GP holes when cranking.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're gonna do a lot of cranking, I hope you have a large enough gauge wire going to the starter. I like overkill on my wiring, because if the wire is just a smidge small you'll be pulling quite a few amps and that's gonna work the starter no matter how easily the engine turns over