fsv took a dump

remington88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gotta love it my fsv took a dump on the highway. with one tank empty and the other full. bet yall can guess which one its stuck on. :mad: at least i got to a gas station befor she died. just barely. it shut down right as i got to the pump. :hail thank the lord. and ford wants 300 for a new one. guess i will have to rig up something. only bad part is i have to report in to ft riley ks sunday so not alot or time to be fartin around

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Hey,

Sounds like you need to run it on the one tank until you are somewhere that you can work on this thing. If I was home I would come help you work on it if you needed help.

There are a few guys on here that can help you rig something else up to make use of both tanks. Personally, I would stick with the stock setup unless you are naturally inclined to fabricate.

If you do buy the part from Ford its super easy to install. Definately dont pay someone to do it unless you have nowhere to work on it. Or wait and use the MWR shop on post. Havent used it yet but plan to.

Thad-58D pilot

remington88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i got to fix it now due to being deployed soon and my brother is going to drive it while i am gone. he isnt mechanicly inclined at all so to eliminate him running it dry i am going to fix it. gonna bite the bullit and go with a stock one. had to order it so i will pick it up tomorrow when i get back home so just gonna have to fill up more often. thanks for the offers on help tho

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I got a Pollack valve for $70. It's probably better than OEM anyway. The hardest part was figuring out the wires to splice it in since it comes with a different harness, and that wasn't really that hard. You have the two going to the solenoid, which just reverse polarity to switch tanks, and the two going to the respective fuel level senders. Easy. It even came with a new DPST switch (if yours is faulty.)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Since you blew the money on the crappy stock one, granted it is the only one that will plug right in, but they don't last worth a flip. While on deployment, you can read over back posts on installing manual valve setups and then you can get rid of the lousy electric FSV when you get back and say goodby to your switching troubles forever ;Sweet Make sure to tell your brother to keep that fuel treated HEAVY if it freezes there , this new fuel will ice at the drop of a hat and those valves do not like that

AZBLACKSMOKE

no truck payment
Reaction score
Stupid question: Is there a position (f or R tank) that is better to leave it on for the majority of the time that will help the valve to last longer and only use the other for long trips or emergencys?

Or is it better to switch it often?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
he actually lives in centertonville arkansas not sure how bad the winters are there but it does freeze here.

I know where Centerville AR is but I've never heard of Centertonville :confused: Where the heck is that? Not a whole lot of freezing problem in AR but a LOT of problems with bad fuel and old dirty fuel storage tanks at filling stations
All depends on what part of the state on how bad the freezes get.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you blew the money on the crappy stock one, granted it is the only one that will plug right in, but they don't last worth a flip.

Not sure where that's coming from. The one on the Moose Truck lasted 23 years before it died. Got stuck between tanks. And it was cycled as I never refilled before going through both tanks. Never had a problem with a genuine Motorcraft replacement from a dealer. I'd buy another stock one anyday.

remington88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe it is centerville. its next to bentonville. my family just moved down there a few weeks ago. nice area down that way

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
maybe it is centerville. its next to bentonville. my family just moved down there a few weeks ago. nice area down that way

If it's near Bentonville, then it's not Centerville. Not sure what it is, but that's a real nice area up there. It will freeze pretty good and he will see some whopper ice storms a few times a year, but not much snow. That's only about 3 hours from the house there.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Not sure where that's coming from. The one on the Moose Truck lasted 23 years before it died. Got stuck between tanks. And it was cycled as I never refilled before going through both tanks. Never had a problem with a genuine Motorcraft replacement from a dealer. I'd buy another stock one anyday.

LAst genuine motorcraft one I bought and spent a stinking fortune on didn't make it three months before it made a long trip dragging a heavy trailer a living hell stuck with only one tank on a road with very few fuel stops. It was abstract panic most of the way searching for fuel to keep the rear tank full.

After that fiasco , that POS went the way of the buffalo and i stuck manual valves on;Sweet I've never had a manual fuel valve fail on a truck, and i've had some mighty old trucks with multiple tanks