Frustrated with Glow Plugs! Help Please

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a new solenoid the other day and he came out with the 4 post one and I tried to have him search around but every one was a 4 post. I bought it and you just use one of the small ones and it works just fine.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other small post has 12v on it during cranking only. It's for older gas engines and runs to the ignition coil as a resistor bypass. It's not needed on many newer vehicles including the diesels.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
The controller really needs a key on hot to work, not a constant hot. If you do that you'll be burning up glow plugs fast.

I believe that he is talking about the relay/solenoid built into the side of the controller that does actually take a 12V hot at all times. Not the solid state part itself.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
attachment.php

Have you checked the famous plug on these trucks that melts and burns out all the time? In the picture above, the yellow line that says "battery" should have two yellow wires on it. These are your hot all the time battery wires. If you follow these wires back over the valve cover, on the pass side inner fender you should run across a main wiring plug. These two yellow feed wires go through this plug along with some smaller wires, but this plug is way too small to do the job, and it usually melts. If yours is melted, you might need to cut these two large yellow wires out of it, and hook them together, bypassing the plug. I crimped 4 ring connectors on the yellow wires after I cut them out of the melted plug, and then used bolts to bolt them together. This is handy in case you have to do some work and need to disconnect the wiring(like replacing the valve cover gasket)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online