Frustrated with Glow Plugs! Help Please

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A while back I posted that I could not get my GPs to work, I repaced the plugs (with Autolites). After posting that alot of folks warned me about these plugs, so I tested the Berus that came out, and all were good. Assumed the controller was bad and bought new one. Hooked new controller up and WTS light comes on for about a second then goes out. New controller ticks, like a really obnoxious clock, but WTS light is off. Today I put good Berus in and hoped it would correct the issue. No dice, same story, different day. checked the wiring for shorts, and tested plugs again. All good. I referenced the GP by pass thread in tech section and noticed that it says the red wire, large post on controller is supposed to be hot always, which mine is not. Could someone tell me where that positive cable is supposed to be attached on oposite end of GP controller (direct to batt., on start relay or what?:dunno) mines connected to the large post nearest to the fire wall, on start relay,(not constant hot) Any help appreciated.
Thanx and God Bless.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume your talking about the fender mounted solenoid? 2 copper studs w/ nuts and a L shaped plug that snaps on? The wire going to the glowplug controller should have constant power. There should be one lug on that solenoid thats by itself, that would be the wire going down to the starter. It doesn't matter which side of solenoid its on but it needs to be by itself.

There should be power from the battery to one side of the solenoid where its also joined with a charging wire from the alternator, power wire for the rest of the truck, glow plug controller. The other side should be for just the starter.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill give it a try, thank you for clearing that up. It has been hooked up like this for 2 years and actually worked for about 8 months perfectly, but Im not sure how. And yes the fender mounted solenoid is what im referring to, sorry for the confusion.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No prob. I hope it works for you. I am guessing you were just getting a little glow time while you were cranking or something.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just hooked her up the correct way and it seemed to work, Wts came on for a about 5 sec. I turned it off and tried cycling again and no WTS light at all, which im hoping thats becouse the plugs are plenty hot right now. Will let it cool off for a while while im diagnosing my Dodge brake light issue, then try it again. Its cold enough here, Ill definately be able to tell if the GPs are doin their thing. Thanks again and God Bless.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Just a note, my GP system started acting up and I found it to be a grounding issue. The controller was re located as per the ATS instructions and the mounting hardware came loose. The tightening of a couple of bolts cured my issues. Good luck.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It usually is a ground issue or a dead glow plug/loose connection at one of them if you have fast cycling or no cycling. Be careful about moving the wiring around, just don't unless you actually know for sure where it needs to go. Somewhere on here is a diagram for the 87 and up system. The controller really needs a key on hot to work, not a constant hot. If you do that you'll be burning up glow plugs fast.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not a constant hot to the glowplugs, just to the controller. I don't know everything about how the controller works but I believe it just works on resistance.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok back to the drawing board. Went back out and tried turning key on and no WTS light whatsoever. Has had plenty of time to cool off, as it is about 18degrees outside and it sat for a good 2 hours. Im definately going to do some intense research on this issue, Im at my witts end. Hate to say it but im glad ive got the Dodge as a back up, that 24valve starts when its colder than a well diggers a__. Gotta love 8 months of snow and cold. I have checked the grounds numerous times, and checked the plugs and wires, maybe Napa just sold me a bad controller. IDK

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It usually is a ground issue or a dead glow plug/loose connection at one of them if you have fast cycling or no cycling. Be careful about moving the wiring around, just don't unless you actually know for sure where it needs to go. Somewhere on here is a diagram for the 87 and up system. The controller really needs a key on hot to work, not a constant hot. If you do that you'll be burning up glow plugs fast.

any ideas where that diagram is located? id love to see one.;Sweet

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here they are.

Attachments

• 7_3%20glowplug%20controller%20&%20relay.JPG
    7_3%20glowplug%20controller%20&%20relay.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 7
  • 7_3%20glowplug%20system%20wiring.jpg
    7_3%20glowplug%20system%20wiring.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 32

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I chased the same thing on my truck and it turned out to be a bad connection somewhere. I took all of the wires loose and cleaned everything. no electrical grease.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just noticed this, dont know if it has any bearing on the situation but, the hot wire comming from the Gp controller to the starter solenoid actually splits into two orange wires. I bought a new starter solenoid today in desperation and noticed it had two small posts instead of one like the old one(Meaning its a 4 post instead of three) The ignition switch hooked to the small post on solenoid but could not put my finger on what the bottom small post was for on new solenoid. Just now I stumbled across a picture of a solenoid for a 94.5-97 and it actually had a pig tail comming off of the two small posts going to the controller. Maybe this is how it was origionally linked to solenoid and along the line someone put one big eyelet on the two orange wires. Does this sound at all familiar to anyone, or am chasing my tail ?

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wondering if anyone has similar year truck and a camera, and could snap a picture or two of the starter solenoid and GP controller so I can compare the connections. I certain the wiring is right on the controller, just not sure about the starter solenoid. All I have to really go off right now is what someone has already fooled with, and pray its right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance