front wheel brg failure

imfixinmopars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on a 1998 ram 4x4,1500 series,in my shop now w/ a large wheel brg failure.the brg came apart and the wheel was retaqined by the brake caliper,nice.88k miles also.the other side was ckd and found to be very loose too!whats the deal w/ that junk -cuss .it never had a plow on it and is in good cond other than the brgs.anyone else seen these problems?i was going to buy one of these,but....note,please ck your front wheels brgs by jacking it up and cking the slop,should be none!

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
You never do know how many curbs and potholes have been hit by that tinme in a trucks life. Nothing lasts forever. 2 bad wheel bearings dont make a truck an overall POS. The driver HAD to have heard something weeks prior to the wheel coming off and just chose to ignore it. People are not to smart anymore.
Ken

steved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umm...if it was only held on by the caliper then someone already botched it...the stub axle holds the bearing together and that in turn holds it to the knuckle (since it doesn't fit throught the inside of the bearing)...

Wheel bearings don't last forever...especially plowing, most of the plowing related failures I have seen is from the dumb-dumb who thinks that the plow goes on in October and comes off in May...carrying it around the entire winter even when there isn't a snowflake forecasted...

It also depends on if the truck was offroaded...if you can't repack the bearing after filling it full of mud and water, do you think it will last (on any axle)??

I replaced a single hub on my 94 at 90k...ran 155k on the other hub...offroaded the truck, lockers front and rear... I had 167k on one of the hubs in my 99...201k on the other... My dad has 250K on his original hubs...

It depends alot on how the truck was driven as stated previously.

steved

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
road salt/gravel roads/abuse/neglect...all lead to failure.....most of the time its neglect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online