front wheel bearings

sootman73

Reaction score
i have this growling noise from the front of the truck somewhere.... i thought i narrowed it down to the passenger side bearings but i replaced those tonight(the bearings looked like they spun on the spindle) but that didn't solve the noise(i can feel it in the steering wheel and shifter too but not in the 4wd shifter). its somewhere in the passenger side because that hub was significantly warmer(almost hot) than the drivers side.

is there something that goes inside the spindle to hold the axleshaft in place?cookoo

and i dont know if this matters but i have a bad u-joint in the front axle but i leave it in 2wd and the hubs unlocked.:dunno

sootman73

Reaction score
but if the hub is unlocked and its in two wheel drive then that shouldn't be it huh?

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
check the other side anyways, i had a very similar problem, thought it was the drivers side replaced the bearing, noise was improved but still present, checked the passenger side and the bearings were F**ked! when i pulled the hub off the otter bearing fell to the ground and exploded

sootman73

Reaction score
but that hub is barely warm and the passenger side is on the verge of being hot after 6-7 miles...

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
well if the bearings spun on the spindle, the spindle needs to be replaced. the bearings are sitting correctly then.

brakes could be dragging causing it to be hot also

any pull in steeringwheel?

sootman73

Reaction score
replacing the spindle is not an option. how would you even replace the spindle without replacing that half of the axle? I can't afford to do that. its in pretty good shape still though. prob only spun a couple times.... if that even...

no the brakes are all good. no pull in the steering wheel either all the brakes are brand new from master to rotor.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
can you spin the wheel freely freely or feel any play when you jack the wheel off the ground. that should tell you allot.

i have had hubs not disengage because a piece was off inside the hub assembly.

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
ur truck is 4x4. the spindle bolts on. 5 or 6 bolts located behind the brake rotor.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How hot do the hubs usually get? I just did the bearings in mine and the hubs seem to get pretty hot, but I cant figure out if its the sun causing it or the bearings.

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
they will get warm. but the cooler the better. if they seem hot(hand on for few seconds hurts) there is something wrong.

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
new bearing run hot. they have to break in.
there is a needle bearing inside the spindle the the stub shaft rides on.
what exactly did you do when tightening the bug hub nut?
did you grease the bearings correctly?
they sell locktight for bearing races. it's green i think.
that spindle is made to be replaceable. it's 5 bolts, expect them to be ruined. you'll need 5 studs and the mechanical lock nuts. also it's pressed in so it's a ***** to get off.
the brakes will contribute WAY more heat to a hub than bearings unless somethign very wrong.

billyboy

'91 F350 4x4 7.3
Reaction score
hey jam0o0, the green stuff you mention for bearing races is loctite 609. i've used it in carrier diff bearings where there's already a tight fit. to completely immobilize it. have you used it in inner/outer axle bearings? front or rear?
it seems like an ideal situation for it except all the manuals i read show instructions to "lube the spindle" before installing the hub+bearings (like a 10.25 or D60). but i've seen too many burnt/spun bearings on destroyed spindles for it to make sense...

i understand the need for 609 to be in those places, but getting the hub off for servicing in the future needs some serious pulling i guess? but that loose race/spindle fit idea still bothers me to no end. i still think the slip-fit bearing race spells trouble without the 609. your thoughts?

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've never used the bearing loctite. if i ever have a problem with spun bearings that's the first thing i'd try. if the inner bearing gets stuck on the spindle it's the inner seal that's gunna pull it off. so be ready with a replacement. that's not a big deal for me since i kill the seal every time i do maintenance on the front end anyway. i think one of our old trailers had some bearing "glue" or somethign holding the races to the spindle. a pry bar to the backing plate flange popped the hub right off. and cleaning the residual off the spindle wasn't a big deal. just a little emory paper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online