FRONT END CLUNK?

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I am driving through town and I lightly put on my break I hear a loud clunk under the front end. It sound like it is coming from under driver side to middle and can be felt under passenger side also. Anyone have a clue? Everything looks and feels tight including shocks.

Whit

Reaction score
Check the tracking bar, that would be my first guess, a bad one can result in whats known as "death wobble"

Here is a good link to an article written by MNTom click here

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tracking bar does seem to be a little worn so I'll try that first. Would tracking bar being a little worn make the loud clunking noise. :confused:

Whit

Reaction score
NAIL BENDER said:
The tracking bar does seem to be a little worn so I'll try that first. Would tracking bar being a little worn make the loud clunking noise. :confused:

If its wore bad enough it will clunk when you turn back and forth ............I would jack the front of the truck up so the frontend is free then get under there and wiggle everything till ya find whats loose or wore out.........check the kingpins too

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar clunk on my 94' 2500 CTD.. it was a problem in the steering column.. happened when I braked. The dealer fixed it under warranty. Not sure of the exact part.

steved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Balljoints...my 04.5 is doing this right now and that's my culprit.

Also could be a caliper loose??

Did you check the lower shock bolt???

steved

justinp20012500

Reaction score
steved said:
Balljoints...my 04.5 is doing this right now and that's my culprit.

Also could be a caliper loose??

Did you check the lower shock bolt???

steved

Lack of grease can cause a SLIGHT clunk...

Batman

Reaction score
Not hearing or seeing......definately sounds like either the track bar or a bad joint in the steering column.

Mopar1973Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of good suggestions here... But the most common of them is the Trac Bar.

I would double check shocks, sway bar, and control arms... These thing do wear out and could cause a bad case of DEATH WOBBLE! :eek: