Front driveline - pics - take a look

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
The sleeves look OK. So yea. Here's a tip. Have them get the MOOG parts in AND the house brand parts as well. Because with my experience, the house stuff is just old stock MOOG parts that have been reboxed. I picked up my outer tie rod end for my D60 for $19, and it was a moog part, just boxed in the house brand box. The MOOG boxed part was $98.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rent a tie rod puller from autozone or advance auto parts or something.

You will thank me later.

Unless you have an air hammer and a pickle fork attachment, it's the only way to go...and the puller won't tear up the boots. My old tie rods looked about 100x worse than yours (I was actually replacing them because they were so rusty, I wasn't sure if it could be aligned), and the puller popped them apart no problem.

BTW- I just did my tie rods a couple months ago, and the boot where the drag link connects to the pitman arm was destroyed in about 2 weeks. I don't know what happened.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell yes they are bent. Replace the whole deal. A pickle fork and a BFH will do the job. I'd use a puller on the pitman arm end.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Sleeves, pitmans, drag link and tie rods? Or do you think I can get away with just the drag link and driver's side inner rod? And what's a BFH? Big F'ing Hammer?

Hell yes they are bent. Replace the whole deal. A pickle fork and a BFH will do the job. I'd use a puller on the pitman arm end.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, you got BFH correct.

That balljoint looks bent as well. I'd be afraid that sucker will buy the farm while you're driving. Be careful until you get it fixed.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steering parts are cheap when you consider how long they last, and how they keep you from certain death. ;Sweet Don't skimp. The drag link will be the most expensive part. Just think of how well it will steer again. Throw a steering stabalizer on their while your at it.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
what's a steering stabilizer?

Steering parts are cheap when you consider how long they last, and how they keep you from certain death. ;Sweet Don't skimp. The drag link will be the most expensive part. Just think of how well it will steer again. Throw a steering stabalizer on their while your at it.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I don't have an extra $200.00 laying around, is this kit something that can be added after I replace the steering components? e.g. when I have funds available? Or is it something you do while the steering is apart?

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I pull tie rods with the fork or a two jaw puller. use the fork first and if that dont work(very seldom it hasn't for me) use the two jaw puller. if you have to use the puller situate it so that you can get the fork in there if need be(only had to use both on an old toyota of my cousins that saw nothing but mud and beach sand and didn't know what a bath was). another note on using that puller if you tighten down on it a lot watch out because one of the outer tie rods(the one that broke) literally shot out and put a dent in the wheel well so keep everything clear because when it shot out like that it nearly took my head off

RockinB

Reaction score
$65.95 for a single for your year truck with <33" tires from Mel's link. Should be a bolt-on that could be done later.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mankypro, you've already got a bracket for a steering stabilizer on there!

That metal bracket hanging down on the passenger side...that's what that is. Somebody had one on there at some point and took it off.

Just get a Monroe steering stabilizer kit. You can get the SA1943 off Amazon for $40 (free shipping), all you'll have to do is bolt it to your existing bracket and attach it to the drag link.

Don't forget to get a boot for it too...they're like $5. You can get that off amazon too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance