Front driveline - pics - take a look

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
So I'm tooling around under the truck today doing an oil change and I notice that the driver's side tie rod looks bent?

I've always thought that the turning radius on the truck was a bit wide.

Take a look and tell me if you think the tie rods are bent?

You must be registered for see images attach

zpd307

Reaction score
you got to love colorado trucks, i wish mine was half as rusty as that. are you only concerned about the inner left joint, or do you think the left inner bar is bent in the middle. i cant help you either way, as i have a 350 and the steering setup is different for the d60. i just put in a new drag link too, god that tightened up the steering a whole bunch!

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
The driver's side tie rod and the drag link both look bent to me. I did some crazy stuff on my property up north last month offroad with the truck, wonder if I hit something or landed on it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the driver's side tie rod assy is definitely cheezed. the passenger side doesn't look that good either but not as dire as the driver's side.

suv7734

Reaction score
Yup, that looks bent to me especially given how close it is to the grease nipple where the right side connects to the pitman arm. Here's a link to a pic of one listed for that truck. How's your tire wear, is it wearing more on the outside of the front tires? Is the steering wheel centered when driving in a straight line?

zpd307

Reaction score
replacement isnt hard. i bought myself one of those tuning fork seperator things. im not sure if it is called a ball joint/ tie rod seperator. anyway, a couple of wacks on that with a bfh and they will split. the only bad part of that tool is that it will destroy the rubber boots.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
any idea where to order the rubber boots from? Found replacements from MOOG at Rock Auto for not much $$ - I heard MOOG and TRW where the only way to go from a retired county diesel mech, he said the Carquest labeled stuff is OK too.

MOOG Part # DS1002 More Info
Front Steering; Inner; Left Hand; 4WD $57.79

MOOG Part # DS1001 More Info
Front Steering; Inner; Right Hand; 4WD; Connecting Tie Rod $66.79

suv7734

Reaction score
If you're replacing the tie rod ends the new ones will come with boots. Those sound like good prices for MOOG parts!

zpd307

Reaction score
with the tool i was telling you about, you only have to worry about new boots if you were going to put the back on. per say you needed to take of the outer tie rod to do some spindle work and then needed to put the same tie rod back on. if you are hammering away to replace the stuff, then no worries.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
If you should happen to need boots, Moog has them in the back of their catalog. You may have to argue with someone that they have them, but they do (or did...been a few years since I pushed parts).