Front bumper strong enouph to be towed?

GTFD

Reaction score
Are the front bumpers strong enouph to attach a tow bar for towing the truck 50 miles across the county? The mounting bolts look a little marginal in size for the job. Any experiences? Thanks

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the long and short of it.......
NO.
if you are going to flat tow your truck you need to mount the brackets to the frame. If you have a 80-86 truck, that is the easiest to work with. 87-91 requires the removal of the bumper. 92 and up requires some serious creativity since the front of the frame is now a "crush" zone.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Flat towing is a no no if you have a ZF5, unless you remove the driveline. On that thought, Towcat, is it possible to flat tow a truck with a ZF5 if it has 4x4 with the t-case in neutral?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Flat towing is a no no if you have a ZF5, unless you remove the driveline. On that thought, Towcat, is it possible to flat tow a truck with a ZF5 if it has 4x4 with the t-case in neutral?

I've always been told the same thing about automatics as they parts might be moving, but no fluid pump running. That being said, I don't know that 50 miles would hurt either...then again, who knows?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I think the oil pump is on the input shaft side in the xfer case. Not sure though. Somebody who has had one apart should comment. If it were on the output shaft, surely that would work.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
What are you going to flat tow your truck with? I wouldn't go any smaller than a 3/4 ton & up. Remember that flat towing is diffrent than a trailer.
My new bumper has the brackets welded onto it for a tow bar. The last truck it was on (83 Toyota) was towed that way all the time. That being said I'd rather get a trailer & throw it on there just due to the overall size & weight of it. I might get around to removing the old brackets one of these days.

Last edited:

DowneyB

Professional
Reaction score
Flat towing is when you just hook a tow rope to it and go right?

Why are you not supposed to do that when you have a ZF5?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Flat towing is when you just hook a tow rope to it and go right?

Why are you not supposed to do that when you have a ZF5?

ask tonkadoctor about that one:D he had to replace his rear housing and everything in the ZF is attached to the shaft so he had to basically rebuild the whole thing. the rear bearings dont get lubed properly if the rest of the transmission is not turning like it would be if the truck was running.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Are the front bumpers strong enouph to attach a tow bar for towing the truck 50 miles across the county? The mounting bolts look a little marginal in size for the job. Any experiences? Thanks

Give us more information, what is towing what???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online