Front bumper spare tire mount

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I have made a skookum spare tire holder that mounts in the bed of my truck. In the rear corner. I love having it there but I will be needing the entire box for a trip (putting a camper on the old girl) and wish to re-locate my spare tire to the front bumper. I don't want the tire under the rear fuel tank for obvious reasons; as it always seems to be pouring rain or snow when you have a flat. And the salt around here takes its toll on things.

So do any of you have a picture of your front bumper mount? I intend on making my own, just curious to see what others have done.

Thanks

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Not crazy about spare tires mounted in front of the radiator. Too much blockage of cool air. You are going to need all the cool air you can get hauling that camper around.

JM2CW

osokusmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on the rear overhang of the camper, maybe you could build a carrier that went into a receiver hitch. You could make it pivot down, with a platform on the back to use as a step into the camper, and fold it up for transport.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Thats a sound idea. I bet I could even purchase a slick operating pivot and just build a suitable rack to hold the tire and weld it to the pivot. I will keep this in mind for sure.

osokusmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm already seeing a BBQ and cooler mounted on gimbals so they would deploy as you lowered your patio/spare tire carrier.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mounted far enough forward, a front-mounted spare is not so detrimental to radiator cooling as those close-mounted ones with a big cover or hub-cap covering all the wheel openings.

Other options are over the cab or above the camper.

Some creative fabrication with a "boat-trailer" winch will help get the spare up and down.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I decided to stick with the original plan of a front mount, in case I want to pull something and/or have a hitch mounted rack for any deer that I might harvest.
You must be registered for see images attach