Fried glowplugs

Julianq7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to start up the 88 idi today and would not start. Popped the hood thinking it was the glowplugs and as I assumed I saw the end of the wire where it connects to the glowplugs fried. I will post a picture of it.

My wait to start light bulb is broken so I have been guessing times to warm the gp. Since it has been cold I leave them on a little longer than usual, probably 20 seconds. I drove the truck fine yesterday and cranked up in 40 degree weather but today wouldn't start. Now the glowplugs are fried and I can't get them out. Any tips to pull these suckers out?

And do you all think the truck has a bad relay? Or bad controller? Or misjudgment on my part? I didn't think they would fry after only 20-25 seconds tops. Any input and suggestions is much appreciated, especially if anyone has had the same problem before. If I put new gp in I don't want to fry them again!!!!!

Julianq7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just now tested the voltage and the relay and controller seem to have voltage. maybe I did just overheat the gp. about to replace them tomorrow morning, and I don't know what brand they were I just got the truck a few months ago. I just picked up some motorcraft glowplugs though so they should do the trick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online