Freeze Plug Tool

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess I should worry about the brass cup-type freeze plugs I put into my 6.9 ten years ago with a socket used as a driver.

mpa

Reaction score
Checked with my local Ford dealer this morning, He said the #303-D045 is still a good #, Could not give a delivery time until the order was placed. My cost on the tool is $131.50

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Checked with my local Ford dealer this morning, He said the #303-D045 is still a good #, Could not give a delivery time until the order was placed. My cost on the tool is $131.50

Cool ! Looks like I need to cal the dealer in the city and see if he'll get me one. The local dealer cant figure out how to get tools ( heck, I even gave them the number to call when I was trying to get a factory tool last time and they couldn't, or wouldn't do it, the guy tells me that they can't get any special tools from ford...guess that explains why their service department has such a lousy reputation cookoo

----Robert

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I wonder if anyone has tried the international dealer for that tool?
I tried one of the online ford dealers parts places and they told me they couldn't order tools but gave me the number for Rotunda and said I could order it there, but last time I called that number , the folks at Rotunda told me they only sold to dealers and I'd have to have them order it....catch 22 cookoo

Interestingly, I ran across an article on the web about 8 years old that said snap on handles the rotunda equipment program for ford. I wonder if I can get the thing from my snap on guy. Heck, he had the factory injection pump wrench ( not a snap on tool ) on the truck when I needed one.

------Robert

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well, either they've changed policy at Rotunda, or i got someone different, but I just called and they let me order one. $134.83 plus shipping
the number is 1800 ROTUNDA
When selecting specialty tools on their voice loop options, it rings through to OTC tools, so this thing *should * be available from a snap on truck if needed.

I'm glad that's done. I wasn't looking forward to having to load that engine on the trailer and have to haul it to the city to get freeze plugs stuck in it. The worst part of putting that thing in the first time was getting it off the trailer and manuvering it around the truck with a combination of the cherry picker and a freight dolly, especially when my son wasn't listening and dropped a wheel off in the mud. That's a lot of weight to be swinging sideways trying to tip over. At least he got a good long lesson in finer art of using levers to move large heavy things that don't want to budge :D

-----Robert

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I got my freeze plug tool in today from Rotunda/OTC/SPX/ everybody and his brother in law. Now to figure out how to use the thing. the ford factory manual on CD that I have just says to use the tool # bla bla bla, it doesn't mention anything about procedure cookoo .
I'll attach a few pictures of that thing and I can take some measurements if someone wants them for, er...artistic purposes :D

One question, For pulling the old ones out, can I use a puller like the snap on tool here or would I end up driving into a liner with that screw? I don't have much hand strength anymore( dang arthritis -cuss so I try to find as many easy tools as possible.
Anyway, here's the pictures. It appears to go together this way with the plunger going through to the end with the concave relief .

------Robert

Attachments

• FPT1.jpg
    FPT1.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 11
  • FPT2.jpg
    FPT2.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 9
  • FPT3.jpg
    FPT3.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 8
  • FPT4.jpg
    FPT4.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 7
  • FPT5.jpg
    FPT5.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 8

mpa

Reaction score
Robert, great to see you have your new tool! The way you have it put together in the last picture, is the corect way it should go. When I pulled my freeze plugs, the engine was out of the truck. I drilled a 1/2 in. hole in the plug, put a pointed heel bar in the drilled hole and poped the old plug out. After the block came back from the machine shop I cleaned the hole with a wire brush and brake clean, then I put a thin layer of permatex anaerobic gasket maker around the lip that the freeze plug rests on. Then I put the new freeze plug in the hole, hold it inplace with the outer piece of the tool, slide the inner shaft into the outer & thump it with your hammer , when the top of the inner tool stops after hitting the outer piece your home free! It won't let you dent the plug too much. Good luck mpa

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Good deal. This thing looks fairly idiot proof. Too bad the last idiot to put freeze plugs in this block didn't use one :backoff -cuss
On close examination, the one that walked out was dented in way too far, to the point of the outer lip flexing out a little, and a number of the ones along the side look like they weren't barely dented in at all.

--------Robert

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if installing the plugs in after major cooling ( In FREEZER overnight) might help so they expand even more when up to room temp? Kind of how the block may grow slightly when up to operating temp....

I know one race engine my ole boss did years and years ago....he actually had all the plugs installed and connected a hot water line from hot water tank and ran the hot water through it while doing all the machine work to ensure perfectly round cylinders, square decks and so forth....was a lesson in mobile plumbing to say the least...rofl

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I ever do another one I am not going to change the core plugs unless they are leaking. Stainless doesnt go bad and you can clean the water jackets just fine thru the deck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online