Frame rail fuel filter?

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only thing I'd be worried about with a frame rail filter is making sure it's well protected from road debris and damage. Scraping the fuel filter on a rock offroading would definitely be problematic.... Likewise if it's coated with road tar changing the filters is going to be unpleasant.

blue67chero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you 100% that's why I mounted on the frame rail at the top with mounting bracket. Also the Filters don't extrude past the bottom of the frame. Also, the truck is sort of a pavement pounder. I don't do much offroading any more with my vehicles besides the Jeep. Too much mud and dirt makes it a PIA to work on stuff and you never can seem to get it all off... I try to change the filters every other oil change regardless which usually i only do 3-5k miles I have been changing fuel filters much quicker though since i've been running WMO and WVO. More so with the WVO so I quit running that crap for now until I can figure out how to filter it a little better!

blue67chero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking the low pressure signal is only picked up on the outlet of the fuel filter but. If the filters you installed plug up that will extend the low pressure all the way to the factory filter and to the injection pump. Now your issue will be which of the three filters is dirty. The first, the second or the factory filter. Now if you could install the low pressure switch just after each filter and be able to switch power to each one at a time that will tell you which filter is plugged up. Or run them all hot all the time and make up a warning panel on the dash listing what filter is showing a problem.

I think i'd rather hook up a series of lights on the dash. I think there's room for it and it would show me which one is actually clogged, thanks for the idea!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only thing I'd be worried about with a frame rail filter is making sure it's well protected from road debris and damage. Scraping the fuel filter on a rock offroading would definitely be problematic.... Likewise if it's coated with road tar changing the filters is going to be unpleasant.
Behind the transfer case and before the front tank is a good spot for a big filter. That's where mine lives, tucked so high up it almost touches the cab floor, but there's little chance at all I hit it with anything. Running twins there should be possible too, but on a regular cab they'll have to be installed side by side with one closer to the frame rail and the other closer to the driveshaft. Ext cabs and 4-doors can run them both along the frame rail no problem.

Also, a quick note about the low pressure switches - if the frame mounted filters are plumbed before the lift pump (like mine is), they will be experiencing suction instead of pressure and so a pressure switch in the filter head will have the warning light glowing all the time.

blue67chero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Behind the transfer case and before the front tank is a good spot for a big filter. That's where mine lives, tucked so high up it almost touches the cab floor, but there's little chance at all I hit it with anything. Running twins there should be possible too, but on a regular cab they'll have to be installed side by side with one closer to the frame rail and the other closer to the driveshaft. Ext cabs and 4-doors can run them both along the frame rail no problem.

Also, a quick note about the low pressure switches - if the frame mounted filters are plumbed before the lift pump (like mine is), they will be experiencing suction instead of pressure and so a pressure switch in the filter head will have the warning light glowing all the time.

Thats exactly where mine is located in between the t-case and front tank. Seems pretty protected there.

I didnt think about the flow of the actual filters themselves

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I run a permacool filter/water separator pre-electric pump. I ran braided stainless from the FSV to the permacool, to the Carter Fuel Pump, and then from the pump up to the 7.3 filter head where I run the 1 piece water separator Wix filter. Been that way for quite sometime, works great. I replace both filters once a year, keep a spare of each behind the seat and all is good!

rlb245

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dumb newbe question here. What is WMO and WVO. Not familiar with the terms. I'm assuming it's fuel of some sort.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
WMO = Waste Motor Oil - Can be just about any lubrication source (Engine, Transmission, Hydraulic System, Transformer Oil (as long as it is new enough to not cantain PCB's), just has been used for its designated time, and then is cleaned/filtered and used as fuel

WVO = Waste Vegetable Oil - Used liquid cooking oil, (not lard, Crisco or cooking oils that solidify when at "room" temp) from sources like the french fry vat at Micky-D's or the local Mexican restaurant.... one side effect is the trucks exhaust can smell like what was cooked in oil.... so if it came from Long John Silvers, its gonna smell like fried fish......

rlb245

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you burn it strait or mix it with diesel fuel. Never new you could do that I heat my garage with wast old with an old mother earth oil burner made from a hot water heater and a cast iron pan

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you burn it strait or mix it with diesel fuel. Never new you could do that I heat my garage with wast old with an old mother earth oil burner made from a hot water heater and a cast iron pan

Depending on where you live, what oils you are using time of year and so forth makes a big difference. Clearly 90-140 gear oil is too thick to run straight, however ATF in summer in hot locations may work, same with WVO I ran it last year straight during summer and it was great, however I used a lot of filters as I could not filter it too the degree I needed before fueling my rig.

A mixture is good at it's still cutting fuel costs by the % you mix, so if you get free WVO and use 50/50 diesel WVO then you pay 50% less in fuel bills! Kinda like doubling your fuel mileage! If you get 15 MPG now at a given cost mixed 50/50 then it makes for the same cost as straight diesel seem like 30 MPG...

Just saying...there are a lot of options.

Check out the forum in the alternate fuel section of the site...WVO/WMO biodiesel etc!