Found Timing @ 10.5 Degrees

David94IDIT

Reaction score
The timing light does have digital advance buttons on it. I can increment advance or retart by single whole increments. So do I advance to 9, set RPM to 2000, then point and shoot?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The timing light does have digital advance buttons on it. I can increment advance or retart by single whole increments. So do I advance to 9, set RPM to 2000, then point and shoot?

That would be a good place to start. If the power is still a bit low, and fuel mileage off, you can try at 10 ( Ideal setting would be 9.7 so 10 is pretty close, 10.5 is max allowed , actual factory spec is 8.5 + or - 2 deg, in other words anywhere between 6.5 and 10.5 deg BTDC by the pulse method is acceptable by the book. Set it too far advanced and you'll start munching glow plugs.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Are you installing the magnetic pickup in the tall hole or the short hole in the timing tab at the balancer?

David94IDIT

Reaction score
The Ferrett adapter has a special clamp that attaches to the #1 injector. The adapter connects to the clamp with an electrical clip. The timing light is then connected to the Ferrett device.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Are you installing the magnetic pickup in the tall hole or the short hole in the timing tab at the balancer?

No obsolete magnetic pickup to wear out on the ferret like there is on the snappy and rotunda units

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the Ferret, got it on Friday and tried it out on Saturday. I went ahead and set it at 8.7( I was aiming for 9) and it starts good now. I'm happy with the power, but will wait and see how the mileage goes. The ferret was easy to use and worked great with my Actron digital timing light from Northern.

zukinut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell ive made 2 hard pulls on those steep grades around here with my timing at 10.6. I didnt know it, cuz i didnt have my ferret yet. Now that i do i have it set at 9.6. Ill find out this weekend how much better it does.

Will

subliminal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any good links to one of these ferrets? having trouble finding one, parts counter is useless....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
ok, what parts is it missing?

I'm not sure if anyone ever got one of those things to function properly, but it needs a complete timing meter similar to a Snap on unit with a functioning magnetic probe to operate.

subliminal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm it says it has the luminosity probe? what all else woudl you need? do you need the 1/4" adaptor like on the ferret? or does teh luminosity prob work ok? i have a timing light with advance. im a noob on this stuff but i wanna time my rig and i dont have alot of cash. i was reading that its a bit different with a lum probe than the piezo as far as the readings youll get?

i figured id give it a shot. i asked him to send pics of everything included. what else would you need? i really like the ferrret and hear great stuff from them but if this thing works that would save me some $$

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Robert is right, Mat J and I both have these Fox Valley units. They are very nice but they are NOT a standalone unit. That's because you have to type in a 20* offset and use *ATDC which can't be done on a timing light alone. It works beautifully if you have a snap on or Rotunda or Kent Moore with the right pickup...I was thinking it needs to have an inductive pickup to use rather than the magnetic pickup. In truth you probably need both. A snapon timing meter requires two inputs to set the timing right. Could be a luminosity probe and a magnetic pickup, a magnetic pickup and an inductive pickup. it seems many combos are possible, limit is available parts for these obsolete units and using correct offset #s.