Found a new ride

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is an 89 crew cab dually the downfall is that it has a 460. How big of a deal is it to swap engines and put my 7.3 in. I did a search but the closest thing i found was a 7.3 and 351 swap. I thought i read somewhere that the 7.3 and 460 had the same motor mounts. they are both big blocks so i would assume front end is heavy enough but im not sure. I figured one of you guys had done this and was hoping for some insight

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Is it auto or stick? You can adapt the ZF5 speed from a 460 to an IDI. I'm not up on the slush boxes, sorry.:dunno Post some pictures as well. Many here have done engine swaps so the info will be easy to find.;Sweet

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have it yet but i will post some pics as soon as i get it home. It has an auto which i want to stay with so my wife can drive it also

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
You will need a new transmission. New perches and engine mounts. Core support and radiator. Also need to do some work on the fuel tanks.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The truck will handle the swap but the mounts are the part that will need to be swapped. Maybe find a wrecked idi and use those parts for the mounts. Then scrap the leftovers.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A beat up donor truck would be a good idea. Same issues in all brands/makes/models. Fuel tanks, lines, mounts, tranny (gm is just a valve body and torque converter swap), and WIRING