Ford V10 vs. Chevy 454 in a Motor Home?

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at motorhomes in the 23-25 ft long range and about 1998-2002. I've been a diesel guy for awhile and know nothing about big gassers. The rigs I've looked at have the 454, the Ford 460, or the Ford V10 in them. I'd appreciate your opinions on which of these power plants is best and if there are any "gotchas" I should be aware of. Thanks for any help!

P.S. I am looking at short Class A rigs because I tow a boat and need to be able to make the U-turns at launch ramps.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, the Ford V10's a boat anchor...I don't know much of anything about the 454 or the 460 except that I wouldn't want to be the one paying the fuel bill :shocked: I take it a diesel option isn't available?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you have a choice between the three, get the 460.
less crap to meltdown and fix. only the $1500 cat to meltdown.
V10 meltdowns easy and ***** their spark plugs when running ok. got a goofy balance shaft assy in the driver's side cyl head too.
454's likes to eat exh manifolds like candy and are a ***** to pass on the low
460's are reasonably durable, don't melt down exhaust manifolds are easily but like cats.
here's a v10 longblock to go eeewwwwwww over......

Attachments

• SL373455.JPG
    SL373455.JPG
    876 KB · Views: 36
  • SL373456.JPG
    SL373456.JPG
    876.3 KB · Views: 32

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
460 all the way! I had a 1995 Thor Residency 35ft motorhome with the fuel injected 460 and that thing ran awesome for a tank! Even pulled my 21ft enclosed trailer easily. I was very impressed with the power. Had a lil over 75k on it. I never had a bit of trouble with it. Always sat but started right up everytime even in winter time. Anything you get will be a gas hog. All big blocks are and add a HUGE motorhome in the shape of a brick and say bye bye to decent fuel mileage. I also got a carbed 460 in my 84 E250 4x4 van and its a screamer with a few go fast goodies. Parts are easy to get. Now the gm parts will be cheaper of course compared to the Ford. I wouldnt get a v10. Gas hogs! And the sparkplug prob sucks. I'd go Ford. Of course I hate GM with a passion so im totally biased :D;Sweet

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, the Ford V10's a boat anchor...I don't know much of anything about the 454 or the 460 except that I wouldn't want to be the one paying the fuel bill :shocked: I take it a diesel option isn't available?

In motor homes, the diesel engine option adds $100k to the new price. This surprised the heck out of me, but it's true.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In motor homes, the diesel engine option adds $100k to the new price. This surprised the heck out of me, but it's true.
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: YIKES!!!!!!!!!! I see why you wouldn't look that way now...if you were going to be living in it and driving it constantly, it would eventually pay for itself in fuel savings, but for something that would only be used at vacation time, I can't imagine being able to justify that expense.

I guess I'll cast another vote for the 460...I'm not much of a GM fan.

FWIW here are a couple more pictures of (I think) the same V10 that towcat posted earlier...

Attachments

• 0426011852.jpg
    0426011852.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 0426011852a.jpg
    0426011852a.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 21

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: YIKES!!!!!!!!!! I see why you wouldn't look that way now...if you were going to be living in it and driving it constantly, it would eventually pay for itself in fuel savings, but for something that would only be used at vacation time, I can't imagine being able to justify that expense.

I guess I'll cast another vote for the 460...I'm not much of a GM fan.

FWIW here are a couple more pictures of (I think) the same V10 that towcat posted earlier...
that'd be the same motor.;Sweet

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
that'd be the same motor.;Sweet

So what exactly happened to that v10? Only bad thing I have heard goin wrong with the v10's is the sparkplug prob like some of the 5.4's had. Of course they are the same motors just extra cylinders. The old 460s are just tried and true motors. Been around long time and have been used in EVERYTHING. They aint no diesel but the next closest thing. My uncle had a built 460 in his 71 F100. Had 500+ hp. Fastest truck I ever rode in. Wether in stock form or modified, it will do you good.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what exactly happened to that v10? Only bad thing I have heard goin wrong with the v10's is the sparkplug prob like some of the 5.4's had. Of course they are the same motors just extra cylinders. The old 460s are just tried and true motors. Been around long time and have been used in EVERYTHING. They aint no diesel but the next closest thing. My uncle had a built 460 in his 71 F100. Had 500+ hp. Fastest truck I ever rode in. Wether in stock form or modified, it will do you good.
it was driven in puking coolant badly(see white residue trail) after replacing the offending composite gasket, it developed a bad knock. upon removal of the pan, the bottom end was wasted. this came out of a construction company supervisor's truck. wasn't abused badly until he drove on it with no coolant for an extended period of time.

here's the part that bothers me.
see the balance shaft on the driver's side cylinder, there's no bearing for the balance shaft. only alu cylinder head material.

kristhewelder

Reaction score
In my experience the6.8 v10 fords are only good for night repo and parking enforcement work because they are real quiet.we serviced the hell out those trucks and sold them@1k the old school 460s pulled like beasts and were hard to break
They both like gas. can't speak for the chevys

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Ford must be doin somethin right cause the v10 is in EVERYTHING! Lots of the newer motorhomes have them.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Our motorhome with the 454 is loud and gutless. But I haven't driven one with anything else, so I can't compare. The V10, despite it's problems, seems the only answer for Class C motorhomes. Chevy and Dodge are both out of the big engine market(6.0 and 5.7 engines are a little small), the E-Series chassis is the most versatile, and a diesel engine would be a pain in the ass for rental companies. I spend a lot of time at one of the local gas stations shooting the breeze, and I see how absolutely moronic most people are who rent RV's. I'm sure if they had diesel engines, there would be constant problems with these idiots putting gas in them. I'm sure it's the same reason Uhauls don't have diesel engines anymore.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford must be doin somethin right cause the v10 is in EVERYTHING! Lots of the newer motorhomes have them.
i look at motors from a long term reliability standpoint. I've opened up the bottom ends of the even-fire v-10 and they scare the heck out of me. there's just something not right about a split-pin crank that doesn't equate to longevity.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
i look at motors from a long term reliability standpoint. I've opened up the bottom ends of the even-fire v-10 and they scare the heck out of me. there's just something not right about a split-pin crank that doesn't equate to longevity.

I've never seen the inside of a v10. Now a 460 I have and they are stout just like any good ole big block. ;Sweet

Titojeep

Reaction score
I had a 93 winnebago adventurer 34ft with the 454 and 4L80E trans. I put 55K on it during the time that I owned in in california. It was a ***** going up the mountains out there (couldn't afford a diesel at the time) but it was a great engine. I frequently hauled a 16ft car hauler and my jeep and got about 6mpg with the AC. Not hauling I'd get 9mpg. At the time I didn't think that was too bad considering the previous version of the power package (pre-1990) was the 3 speed tranny and 5mpg. The only thing that had a problem was the headers. Winnebago didn't install an air dam on the left side of the engine during those years so the exhaust manifolds would leak at about 25K. HAd it fixed under warranty and kept on trucking, I mean RV'ing. The only reason I don't have it anymore is becuase it caught on fire two years ago. (fire was caused by the fridge. Check the recall on yours just to be on the safe side) I enjoy and appreciate many vehicles. Be your own judge. But I do wish I would have had an IDI in it.